@JaneMarple....Waving Hi! Smiley Happy

@catwhisperer waving Hi back Smiley Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Re: We (Finally) Took the Plunge

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@kdgn wrote:

Good luck~ I've had to block numerous calls on my cell phone. Somehow telemarketers got ahold of the number. A few of them haven't received the "message" that they're blocked and will still call. Their computers will learn- 

Hi @kdgn

I will have to learn how to do that.  LOL  I 'm a PRO when it comes to the landline. 

There aren't a lot of options for blocking cell calls. Most of them are robo-dialed so Do Not Call is useless. You can block the number after they call, but sometimes they have it fixed so you can't. 

98% of my cell spam is robo-dialed, about which little can be done because it's so random :-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Aviatrix wrote:

The comments posted here have certainly set me thinking. I vividly remember Hurricane Sandy hitting my area and we were without power for 11 days. But, our landline worked and that was a comfort. I no longer chat on the phone since email and Facebook have changed our lives so much. Cell phones are a blessing, but only for short calls. Our ways of life are changing so rapidly. Has anyone given up their landline and regretted it?

Hi @Aviatrix

If you go back and look, I think there is one poster on this thread who regretted her decision and turned hers back on.

I too remember Sandy, we were without power for a week. No damage though..

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

I hate talking to people on cell phones.  The quality stinks.  I get tired of saying and hearing "can you hear me" and "repeat that".  I will always have a landline.  Because we used to often have power outages several years ago I bought a phone with a cord for my office so I could use the phone with power out.  It is unbelievable how much better the quality of the sound is.  I have a couple of friends who only have cells and I never call them just to talk or catch up.  

Honored Contributor

I will always have a landline.  On Sept 11th landlines in my area were the only thing that worked.  I don't know about other people in other areas, but me and my friends with landlines all could get through to people.

The same thing happened when there was a small earthquake several years ago.  My neighbor had to come over to my house to use my landline because she couldn't get through to anyone, her husband, her children, etc, using her cell phone.

I don't know and I don't care why or how it happened.  I think eventually the big companies will do away with landlines.  Until they do my friends and I will have landlines. 

There are people who work from home (and for some medical reasons, etc) who MUST have a landline.  My daughter in Denver who works from home 2 days a week must have a landline.  My other daughter (her husband owns his own company) must have a landline.  My middle daughter must have a landline for medical reasons.

They all own several cell phones (business and personal) but I doubt if they'll give up their landlines either.

All of my friends have landlines.  I've had the same phone number since I've lived here (over 38 years).

I simply bought a phone that has a button on it that I push that blocks any calls I don't want to accept.  It's a miracle!  I went from getting fake or ROBO calls maybe as many as 3 or 4 A DAY, to getting maybe one or two maybe in a week (if that).  It will block up to 250 calls.  I recently posted (maybe it was even here) the name of the phone system (Panasonic).  It will stop those robo calls.

A few times it's rang and I'll see come across the screen "BLOCKED NUMBER"....so it works!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Moonchilde Smiley Happy

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Our oldest has been after my husband and myself to cut our landline for years. I was the hesitant one, citing all the 'what ifs" and last week asked myself, "why not?"  The only people who call the house are scammers, salesmen, pollsters , etc.  We each have cell phones,and the landline was an unnecessary expense.

Verizon will have a message on the telephone directing all calls to my husband's number and for an additional $10.00 for an extra month of carrying the message.  

I emailed all friend, family members, on line accounts to tell them the changes and as of September 1, 2016, no more landline.

@MyGirlsMom, you are going to be so happy and not miss your landline in no time.  I love not having mine.  Gave it up about four years ago.  Happy Camper.  I had Verizon and they still don't like that I dumped them.  Their landline service to my home was atrocious.  Dropped calls ALL THE TIME.  I WILL NEVER use their cell service again either, as it too, stunk.

Yeah for one less bill.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

The only time I missed my landline is when I had to send a fax.   So I went over to Office Max and spent $2 to send it.  No biggie.

@Tinkrbl44 I send all my faxes through my computer.  I have a printer that scans I save it as a PDF log on to my fax service (less than 8.00 a month) and I'm good to go.  I even have my own fax number w/o a landline!

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Thanks @Moonchilde Smiley Happy

😍

I could have gone without a landline in LA, but not in my current situation. Where the house sits geographically we have very weak cell signal from any provider. About 80% of the time I can't count on either incoming or outgoing calls not dropping, so often don't get messages until I go somewhere :-(

The house landline was switched to VOIP and the sound quality sucks (not my house, not my decision). Not to mention no voicemail works - neither Verizon's nor the phone's). So giving that # for messages is useless. I can only give my cell # and can only communicate from the house a small percentage of the time. It really sucks :-( The wifi also sucks for the same reason - geographically (hill) blocked signals 😩

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@freakygirl wrote:

yay for you! good call. (no pun intended! lol!) you won't even miss it. you'll even wonder why you didn't have it cut sooner! we haven't had a landline in forever and never looked back. 

Same here!  Freedom.

*Call Tyrone*