Honored Contributor

Re: We (Finally) Took the Plunge

Shut mine off about 6 years ago and have never missed it.  Did not use it for anything for last the last couple of years except deleting telemarketers.

I am starting to get some now on my cell but I do not answer anyway unless I recognize the number so no biggie.  Glad you jumped in with us.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I guess I am old school.  I like my landline. I have an emergency only cell phone for the car.  I pay $10  dollars a month....never use it.  I have never in my life sent a text....do not even know how to. 

@SeaMaiden

I "hear you", I'm old school too.  I've had a cell phone for years and only used it when I was out.  I always forgot to charge the darn thing.  My girls convinced me to join the 21st century. Woman LOL  

Also, I don't like holding the phone to my ear, if I'm alone, I'll put it on "speaker", if not , I use an ear piece.  I have blue tooth in the car.  

I usually DO NOT text, i know how but I prefer to call instead.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Even though there only a handful of people that call me on it, I just can't get rid of the landline.  

I've thought about it, but I hate talking on my cell phone and only family have the number.  When people ask for the number, I tell them I don't have one.  In all the time I've had one I don't think I've spoken to someone on it more than 30 times.

I'm very similar to you in this regard.  @CelticCrafter

Honored Contributor

We would drop our landline phone in a nanosecond but we live in a gated community and the only way we can open the gate for guests is via the landline phone. Otherwise it is all nuisance calls anyway.

Honored Contributor

I can't see us ever giving up our landline. We've had it forever, first with "the phone company" which was Southern Bell which became Bellsouth which became AT&T. 

I much prefer talking on our home phone than on my cell phone. I love my iPhone, but when I make a call from home, 99% of the time I use our landline. Also need it to use our fax machine, which I use pretty often. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I still have a flip phone, and don't plan on changing it anytime soon.  For ~$12 mo, we keep it for emergency use only, although it's handy to use as an alarm clock, too. Woman Embarassed

I accept we're behind the rest of the world on this, but I just do not want to become as dependent as everyone I see with a  #§¿♯☻ cell phone permanently attached to their hands.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@freakygirl wrote:

goldenlocks, just curious. why do you need a landline if you have solar panels?

@freakygirl
I didn't buy the panels.  Instead the solar company owns the panels and charges me a percentage each month based on what I've generated and sold to the electric company.  They track everything via wireless system, but somehow require there be a landline - guess that must be how the systems communicate.  I find it worth it though.  For example, have a pretty large house with heating, etc. on all three floors.  With washer/dryer, three a/c's, fans, dehumidfier, cooking, plus retired so home a lot, my electric bill has been pretty high - very high in hot months.  Just got another electric bill $75+ credit balance remaining; previous month was $150 credit balance and solar cost $38.  Solar will be more, I'm sure this month, but before solar, which was also before the utility rate increases went into effect, was averaging $300 (and watching usage more carefully) in the summer months.  So the cost of the landline is nothing compared to my utility bill savings.
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @gidgetgh

LOL ..we got rid of our fax machine a few years ago because most people want information scanned and emailed to them.  IF I need to fax a document, I go to Staples for a few cents. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We would drop our landline phone in a nanosecond but we live in a gated community and the only way we can open the gate for guests is via the landline phone. Otherwise it is all nuisance calls anyway.

No gatehouse @151949? Where I used to live in Pa I would call the gatehouse the guest's name and how long they were staying and then the guest would get a gate pass that they would show the guard upon entering. A landline is/was unnecessary.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

We have a landline and have no intentions of getting rid of it.  I'm not saying the OP insinuated this, but I find it so strange that people think there is something "wrong" with having a landline.  Not everyone wants to talk on a cell phone all the time -- or ever, for that matter.  I realize it's not the "in" thing, but I won't give up my landline just because other people think it's the "thing to do."