Esteemed Contributor

Re: We (Finally) Took the Plunge

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

Sounds good.  Do you have a desktop or laptop PC?  If so, how do you get internet?

I could be wrong, but I don't think she said she cut her internet - just her landline.

MGM - Good for you!  I would like to do that, also, but the alarm system depends on it.    I even told the husband that I'd be willing to cut the alarm system, too, but he wouldn't go for it.

I do have an extremely high need for feeling safe, due to never feeling safe as a child, but I keep EVERYTHING pretty pretty pretty locked up!  Smiley Happy

Where I live, my internet if over my landline, DSL.  It cost almost as much to just keep the internet connection.

Esteemed Contributor

HI! @chickenbutt, yo're correct, we just cut the landline.  We have internet through the cable company and television through directv.  We're looking into HULU and other services for television to find out which works for us.  Directv gives us 580 channels and I think we may watch on ten of those.

@Zhills, we still carry internet.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

@kdgn wrote:

Good luck~ I've had to block numerous calls on my cell phone. Somehow telemarketers got ahold of the number. A few of them haven't received the "message" that they're blocked and will still call. Their computers will learn- 

Hi @kdgn

I will have to learn how to do that.  LOL  I 'm a PRO when it comes to the landline. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

I have Direct TV and we lose it in bad weather.  Our local cable company is bad at going out as well.  My computer and tablet on the net are my only information.

Not quite ready to lose the landline yet!

Honored Contributor

It's been nearly 10 years without a landline for me.  So glad I ditched it -- never missed it.  Through rain, snow, sleet, hail, raging no-power storms.  I always have my cell service and a  portable power source.

Esteemed Contributor

Good for you!  I've wanted to get rid of my landline, but since I got solar panels, must keep a landline.  Otherwise I'd drop it in a heartbeat!

Trusted Contributor

yay for you! good call. (no pun intended! lol!) you won't even miss it. you'll even wonder why you didn't have it cut sooner! we haven't had a landline in forever and never looked back. 

Honored Contributor

I guess I am old school.  I like my landline. I have an emergency only cell phone for the car.  I pay $10  dollars a month....never use it.  I have never in my life sent a text....do not even know how to. 

Trusted Contributor

goldenlocks, just curious. why do you need a landline if you have solar panels?

Respected Contributor

None of our children have land lines anymore.  My husband wanted to get rid of ours some time ago but I held out.  This past January, I gave him the green light.  He called and cancelled our land line and worked out a new deal for our mobile phones.  We actually ended up saving about $60 a month.