Trusted Contributor

How many of you, that Facebook, have received the, We 

Are The World video, on your pages? 

If not, or, if you don't FB, you might want to check it out, on YouTube. 

About 35 years ago, beautiful song, room full of incredible talent, some of the artists, no longer with us.  

It seems so relevant, today. I keep listening. 

Michael Jackson, Kenny Rogers, looking, so strong and healthy, and Willie Nelson, looking almost young😊love Willie, he's a national treasure. 

Honored Contributor

Wasn't that beautiful? I remember it well.

Trusted Contributor

It is beautiful, and what a collaboration of talent 💜

Esteemed Contributor

One of ways I've been spending my time lately is playing piano. I'm not sure, but I may single-handedly be keeping Musicnotes stock from going under (jk, of course). The other evening I printed out so many pages of music I could swear my printer smelled like it was about to catch fire. I never figured out for sure if it was the printer or the frozen turkey meal I may have over-nuked. It was pretty dry by the time I got to it. Smiley Very Happy

And now to my point (finally, lol). We Are The World was one of the many songs I bought that day, and as you said, it really is a beautiful song. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I LOVE 'We are the World'!    I just watched the video somewhat recently when I was on YouTube (for some reason I cannot recall) and it was just as wonderful as it ever was.  Geez, just about everybody was there!  

Esteemed Contributor

Most people probably know the music and lyrics were written by Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie. But because of his recent death there was a short news piece on the life of Kenny Rogers. Much of the work was done in Kenny's Lion Share recording studio which I hadn't known before. It made me curious so I read the backstory about it in a Rolling Stone article. So interesting!

The final cut was done in Hollywood's A&M recording studio. Quincy Jones, the producer, being nervous about having just one night to cut the song, and knowing how many of the world's biggest singers would be there, posted a note on the door to entrance that read ~

CHECK YOUR EGOS AT THE DOOR

Apparently it worked. USA for Africa raised over 75 million dollars for famine relief. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Wasn't that beautiful? I remember it well.

====

@RetRN  every decade should bring a new group of performers to sing that song. I recall John Denver wanted to be part of the first group and wasn't invited. He was such an advocate of global and climate issues. Whenever I see the video, I wished he had been there.

Esteemed Contributor

I was thinking about this song this morning. Is it ok to Post it in this Forum? Would the Moderators allow it? Can someone please post it. I don´t know how. Thanks

We need it now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 , do you mean can we post a link to the video? Sure, it's allowed. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AjkUyX0rVw

If someone isn't comfortable with links it's easy to find. Go to Youtube and type in WE ARE THE WORLD. Look for the Official video put out by U.S.A. for Africa. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SusieQ_2thank you. I knew I could hear it on YOUTUBE but I wanted to listen to it here lol. Thank you.