Honored Contributor

I just read a book where the main character grew watermelons and then made wine from them. I never heard of watermelon wine. Maybe it’s a regional thing, but have any of you had it ? Is it really sweet ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I have never heard of it either but it doesn’t surprise me.  It reminds me of the pineapple wine in Hawaii.  I had not heard of it but it was delicious. I like sweet wines. 

Respected Contributor

"Watermelon Crawl" by Trace Akins references this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=612lgtYcFYQ

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I remember Ray Bradbury's 'Dandelion Wine!'

Valued Contributor

Watermelon wine is a light, sweet wine made from fermented watermelon. It's best made during watermelon season in the late spring and early summer, when you can find the most ripe and juicy fruit. The wine is made by cooking down the fruit of the watermelon, then fermenting and racking the juice.

Honored Contributor

@debfau wrote:

Watermelon wine is a light, sweet wine made from fermented watermelon. It's best made during watermelon season in the late spring and early summer, when you can find the most ripe and juicy fruit. The wine is made by cooking down the fruit of the watermelon, then fermenting and racking the juice.

@debfau , Thanks for the info, coincidentally my local liquor store is advertising “ Wondrous Watermelon Wine” by Glenora Winery. I think I’ll swing by tomorrow and get a bottle.🍉🍉🍉🍷

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Re: Watermelon Wine

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 Bottled watermelon wine is usually white wine with watermelon juice added. 

I don't think it is pure watermelon wine.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Watermelon Wine

[ Edited ]

@Justice4all wrote:

I remember Ray Bradbury's 'Dandelion Wine!'

@Justice4all   LOL  I mentioned Dandelion Wine once to somebody and they asked me if I had even been in prison.  LMAO

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 Bottled watermelon wine is usually white wine with watermelon juice added. 

I don't think it is pure watermelon wine.

Yes, I googled the brand, and that was the description. I love watermelon so I’ll try it anyway.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan