Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Watering lawn with sprinkler

We have strict watering rules around here b/c of the drought. One rule is to not water the sidewalks, driveways and gutters. But one neighbor does do all of that so I kindly mentioned to them that there was water going into the gutter. They just ignored me. But I would never help myself to turning off their water even if I could get to it. That's just wrong.

Honored Contributor

@Momofdogs  Yes. That is weird....he is a weirdo nosy neighbor... 5B63FBB8-F900-4D36-A575-3C8BF13E0457.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

We have strict watering rules around here b/c of the drought. One rule is to not water the sidewalks, driveways and gutters. But one neighbor does do all of that so I kindly mentioned to them that there was water going into the gutter. They just ignored me. But I would never help myself to turning off their water even if I could get to it. That's just wrong.

@SilleeMee   Due to drought we can only water set hours in morning and evening.  Too much evaporation in middle of the day.  You'd get a ticket for water in the gutter.  I haven't seen a hose-end sprinkler for years.  Water is precious and expensive here. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee   Due to drought we can only water set hours in morning and evening.  Too much evaporation in middle of the day.  You'd get a ticket for water in the gutter.  I haven't seen a hose-end sprinkler for years.  Water is precious and expensive here. 

@Kachina624 

I'm surprised that my neighbor hasn't gotten a ticket from that violation yet. It's been going on for years. I guess it depends on whether or not it gets reported to the authorities. I won't do it but maybe I should. You're right about that...water is expensive here, too. In fact, my water bill is a good portion of my utilities bill including electric which is the biggest slice of the bill. We have stormwater billing here, too, which is percentage of water usage and that's a large slice as well.

Esteemed Contributor

We don't have water restrictions yet but I only water enough to keep the grass barely alive. I turn them off when it rains.  

Respected Contributor

I've had to remind my neighbor twice over the years, that his sprinkler was on so long that I had flooding on my side of the fence. He's extremely busy and forgets. 

Luckily someone was home to go turn it off, but I would have turned it off myself, if they weren't. 

I think the OP's neighbor was just trying to be helpful and prevent waste. He's right that there's no advantage to over watering. 

Contributor

Whoops, I should have mentioned this was late in the day, we have no water restrictions, and the sprinkler was being moved every 20 minutes. 

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

That takes a lot of nerve but............an hour is too long.  I do an area for 20 mins max so the roots get well watered and then move the sprinkler.

@fthunt We water long enough for the water to soak down in the ground, drawing the roots deeper and making the grass more able to stand hot weather and dry spells.

Its hot and dry in Oklahoma.  And it all depends on the soil and type of grass, but where we live, deeper watering less frequently keeps the roots down deeper in the soil and not closer to the top where they might burn and dry out. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Momofdogs wrote:

Whoops, I should have mentioned this was late in the day, we have no water restrictions, and the sprinkler was being moved every 20 minutes. 

I would be indignant over this.  No way some neighbor decides what I do to my lawn and garden with my sprinkler.

Have a concern?  Certainly, tell me, and I'll decide if it's valid but don't touch my property.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Momofdogs wrote:

When dh confronted him, neighbor said " too much water, not good for lawn "

@Momofdogs 

Your DH response?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif