Contributor

Watering lawn with sprinkler

I just had the most unusual experience. I was watering my lawn with the sprinkler, and my neighbor across the street came over, and turned it off, probably about an hour later. When dh confronted him, neighbor said " too much water, not good for lawn " What  gave him that right to come on my property and turn it off ?? Isn't this cray , cray ??

Respected Contributor

Re: Watering lawn with sprinkler

Oh No! 

Esteemed Contributor

i'm hoping your husband told him it was none of his business....sorry....some neighbors need to be 'put in their place.'  jmo.....

Esteemed Contributor

Letting them run for an hour sure uses a lot of water.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Boy, that IS weird.  Maybe he thought you had forgotten about it?  and he was just trying to do you a favor?

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy   I agree and the OP has not indicated if there are watering restrictions in her area.

While I do not agree with what her neighbor did, this could be an issue of violating watering ordinances.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is the sprinkler on a timer?  Maybe he did think you forgot about it.  An hour is about the maximum a sprinkler should run.  We were told to run our sprinklers 30 minutes, 3 times a week.  And it was all set up automatically.

Of course, he could have asked you about it before doing it himself.  But unless you have other issues with this neighbor, I'd forget it.

Esteemed Contributor

That takes a lot of nerve but............an hour is too long.  I do an area for 20 mins max so the roots get well watered and then move the sprinkler.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy   I agree and the OP has not indicated if there are watering restrictions in her area.

While I do not agree with what her neighbor did, this could be an issue of violating watering ordinances.

At some point it has to become wasteful....grass roots are not that deep

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@Momofdogs wrote:

I just had the most unusual experience. I was watering my lawn with the sprinkler, and my neighbor across the street came over, and turned it off, probably about an hour later. When dh confronted him, neighbor said " too much water, not good for lawn " What  gave him that right to come on my property and turn it off ?? Isn't this cray , cray ??

As wrong as you are for watering in the middle of the day (save it for very late afternoon) and for an hour ( that is a lot)... your neighbor should never be changing anything on your property, no ma'am!