Respected Contributor

Re: Waterford Crystal at Evine

@momtochloe wrote:

@luvsbulldogs wrote:

mtc....... I too had always been pleased with my Waterford purchases from them through the years but now wonder how much money after my purchases I lost.  I do not know if they always reduce the prices after a show or what.  You are right about rarely seeing Jorge any more and I too think that he brought a lot to the programs.  I never bought anything else from them other then the Waterford Crystal and now I too will be saving a lot of money.  We have a Waterford Outlet store now that is about 2 hours away but would be worth the trip.  I have a friend that always buys me a piece of Waterford for Christmas and she purchases everything from the Waterford Outlet in her State.  When I visit her I go to there with her and can't believe the difference in the prices.  I know that a lot of the outlet stores have items made especially for the Outlets but what I always see in the Waterford outlet are the exact same pieces I see in Macy's or at Waterford online so I have no idea if they are made just for that or if they are irregulars.  My gift is always beautiful. 

I too am surprised that  they closed your account and let a good customer go so easily.  Have you ever gotten anything from them asking you back?   

Thanks for your kind words luvsbulldogs but heavens no they never contacted me again.  Again, I own this because I'm the one that said it but it was just such an unfortunate situation that could have been rememdied rather easily and the CS agent just wasn't having it.  Like I said, no worries.  It's saving me money and has kept me from buying kitchen gadgets that I do not need!

The other thing that bothered me about the Waterford presentations is that I ordered one of their first Special Values and it was a vase and a bowl.  Said it was Waterford Crystal.  I love both pieces and one is in my foyer as we speak.  But the next time I saw the items they were called "crystalline".  Hmmmm.  I even dug out my receipt and it says crystal but it did give me pause.

Please know, I don't want to dog out Evine's CS.  Any company is as good as the individual that answers the call that a person has a problem with.  If I was really interested, I could have called back and I would bet they would have made it right.  I was just so upset about the quality of the item itself, the mix up in the shipping and then the complete disinterest in the CS rep I had had enough.

I don't take it personally that they don't miss me . . . Smiley Happy

Well said MTC!!!  Now I am wondering if I have any "crystalline"!  Hmmmm!

Respected Contributor

@Shogirl wrote:

I don't know if anyone posted this because I haven't read all of the responses, but evine has special promotional prices during particular shows for particular items.  In other words, they mark products down only for the period of time that they're showing them.  Then the prices go back up.  The good thing is they do grant you a credit if you ask for it.    

Intersting!  I did not know that.  I am learning a lot from this thread.  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

If you own anything labeled Marquis by Waterford, it is most likely crystalline, not lead crystal.  The only thing wrong with crystalline is that many people, particularly the people selling it, continue to call it Waterford "crystal".

I've sold or donated most of my authentic wedding-present Waterford crystal in recent years.  Can't put it the dishwasher. Fragile enough to need handling with kid gloves.  I feel almost like I can chip a Waterford goblet simply by breathing on it, so I have no use for it.  When you begin feeling you can't use it even for guests, it's time to get something more durable.  Crystalline is more durable, but it, too, can scratch and probably should be handwashed, but it tolerates abuse much better than lead crystal.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

If you own anything labeled Marquis by Waterford, it is most likely crystalline, not lead crystal.  The only thing wrong with crystalline is that many people, particularly the people selling it, continue to call it Waterford "crystal".

I've sold or donated most of my authentic wedding-present Waterford crystal in recent years.  Can't put it the dishwasher. Fragile enough to need handling with kid gloves.  I feel almost like I can chip a Waterford goblet simply by breathing on it, so I have no use for it.  When you begin feeling you can't use it even for guests, it's time to get something more durable.  Crystalline is more durable, but it, too, can scratch and probably should be handwashed, but it tolerates abuse much better than lead crystal.

I was worried about that novamc, thanks for confirming my suspicions.  Like I said for the money it's fine but now I am really not unhappy about cutting ties with Evine.

I know this it O/T but I just made your Easy Layered Potatoes and Onions and it came out great. Thanks again for the recipe!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For what it's worth, at the Waterford Crystal factory in Ireland, we were told there are no such things as seconds of Waterford Crystal.  A less than perfect piece is destroyed on the spot.  There are different tiers of Waterford.  Marquis is the cheaper line.  They are seldom (if ever) made in Ireland and they are not hand blown crystal.  In various Waterford lines, much of the glass is made made outside Ireland.  In some cases, the glass is mass produced and in others it is hand blown.  The more cuts and the more intricate the pattern, the greater the price.

I have pieces that were my grandmother's. (our patterns are the same)  Her pieces have a prettier "ring" than any of the mine. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 wrote:

I do have a few pieces of Marquis but thought that it just had less cuts therefore making it less expensive.  I use all of my Waterford Crystal but do not like that I have to wash by hand.  I especially love setting the table at Holidays with all my Waterford glasses and pieces.  I agree with you that if you feel that you cannot even use it then it is time to get rid of it.  I have several  Waterford lamps that I love and use them daily.  I just never tire of them. Thanks novamc for explaining about the Marquis difference.  I had no idea that it is crystalline. 

Respected Contributor

mtc.......glad you enjoyed the potato dish.  It's so hard to resist the good-looking Yukon golds and Vidalias  in the grocery stores right now, after a long winter of crummy produce (or so it seemed at the time).

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Hi novamc ...... 

I just read that you have a great recipe for layered potatoes and onion.  When you get a chance could you please share.  I must have missed it.  Thanks novamc.

Respected Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

For what it's worth, at the Waterford Crystal factory in Ireland, we were told there are no such things as seconds of Waterford Crystal.  A less than perfect piece is destroyed on the spot.  There are different levels of crystal.  Marquis is the cheaper line.  They are seldom (if ever) made in Ireland and they are not hand blown crystal.  In various Waterford lines, much of the glass is made made outside Ireland.  In some cases, the glass is mass produced and in others it is hand blown.  The more cuts and the more intricate the pattern, the greater the price.

I have pieces that were my grandmother's. (our patterns are the same)  Her pieces have a prettier "ring" than any of the mine. 

lulu....thanks for explaining.  I thought that I had heard or read somewhere that they destroy the defective pieces.  So this means that the outlets are not seconds I guess.  Nice to know.  I have some pieces from my MIL that are old and like you said they are nicer.

We have a world famous gentleman that makes crystal pieces that from what I have seen on TV and in a magazine are beautiful.  He is about 2 hours from here and I am hoping to go and see his pieces this Summer.  He has little shop next to his workshop and house.  Thanks again lulu. 

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

mtc.......glad you enjoyed the potato dish.  It's so hard to resist the good-looking Yukon golds and Vidalias  in the grocery stores right now, after a long winter of crummy produce (or so it seemed at the time).

Hi novamc......when you get a chance would you please post your layered potatoes and onions recipe.  It sounds so yummy!  Thanks.