Honored Contributor

Re: Water: Californian and Israeli practices

[ Edited ]

I said "western states" in the first post.  In addition, this discussion is not  and has never been about pitting one state against another.  Not at all.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Desalination is an extremely expensive process.  Expect water rates to soar where it's implemented.

Much of the Southwest has been in serious drought for years so we're slightly amused at California's sudden realization that it hasn't rained there much lately.  I went almost a year without measurable rain at my house in 2013.

I can say we have few private swimming pools, few grassy lawns and our golf courses were designed to be watered with recycled water.  In the Rio Grande Valley South of Albuquerque and in small farming communities up and down the river, farms are watered from centuries old acaquias, a type of hand dug ditch.  Much of the Rio water is apportioned to Texas by treaty.

So you Californians aren't the only ones with drought problems.

This isn't new information, and California has been aware of its drought for a loooong time.     Food prices have increased nationwide, in part, because our crops aren't producing as much.

Respected Contributor

Isreal is very small compared to California.  Ag in CA is mainly inland as well.  Also, Isreal government is more involved with businesses and there are some groups here that want the government to not get involved.

Look at the lightbulb discussion. 

size

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

sadly we in Cali have not been well-led on this issue.  and we are paying the price.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting, thanks for posting this.  Because of the size and "climate" of Israel it would seem that necessity is truly the mother of invention.  

Honored Contributor

Since most of the southwest is actually a desert, why are people surprised that there is an extended drought there? Aren't deserts expected to be arid? 

Here in florida where i live we have water a plenty - too much often times - but they still practice the use of recycling dirty water for irrigation. As much as I hate the water spots on my windows - I can appreciate the reasoning behind it.

Respected Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

sadly we in Cali have not been well-led on this issue.  and we are paying the price.

Yes we are. And where I am the wineries are getting bigger and bigger and bigger and sucking more and more water out of the ground.(not to mention shooting any poor deer or other critters that stray into their miles and miles of grapes) The politicos are screaming that the general public must conserve but the BIG wine industry just ignores them and goes it's merry way. I was shocked on our last trip up north to see all the forests being laid low for more grapes! It is out of control. What about all that water they use and not a peep out of TPTB. Big money gets it's way. 

Respected Contributor

if we had more catchment............!!!

@silkyk wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

Yes we are. And where I am the wineries are getting bigger and bigger and bigger and sucking more and more water out of the ground.(not to mention shooting any poor deer or other critters that stray into their miles and miles of grapes) The politicos are screaming that the general public must conserve but the BIG wine industry just ignores them and goes it's merry way. I was shocked on our last trip up north to see all the forests being laid low for more grapes! It is out of control. What about all that water they use and not a peep out of TPTB. Big money gets it's way. 

Bev Hills just got fined for lack of conservation.  but really, we should have built many more reservoirs over the years.   but certain groups made sure we didn't.

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

That is the way it has always been....

Honored Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

Isreal is very small compared to California.  Ag in CA is mainly inland as well.  Also, Isreal government is more involved with businesses and there are some groups here that want the government to not get involved.

Look at the lightbulb discussion. 

size

@biancardi

The differences were recognized (including topography and geograph) and brought out in the news story(ies).  No one is saying any of what anyone else is doing is a total solution.  Simply that there are things to be learned and used as applicable.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.