Honored Contributor

Water: Californian and Israeli practices

[ Edited ]

I should preface this by saying that California, and even other Western states to differing degrees, are in a major drought.  I just saw a fascinating (too short) local news feature on California's approaches to water use in comparison with Israel's.

Israel has five desalinization plants providing about 50% of Israel's drinking water.  California has only just built its first plant that can provide about one quarter of the drinking water for the city of San Diego.

Israel uses about 60% of its recycled water for its agricultural needs while California uses only about 7% recycled water for irrigation.  Israel saves more agricultural water as well by using drip irrigation for 70% of its crops while California waters about 40% of its crops using drip.

Israel generates more recycled water than it can even store. 

For those who are in Calfornia or are just interested, here is a link to that feature with even more information.

The story was fascinating and hopeful, even though California has more geographical variety than does Israel:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/Surviving-the-Drought-Solutions-to-California-Water-Crisis-...

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Water: Californian and Israeli practices

thanks for posting this !

For anyone whose ever been to Israel I'm sure they were very impressed by the responsible attitude of it's citizens and those beautiful green spaces.
Honored Contributor

Very interesting. Now, when we find someone who has the answers, and a system like this up and working, are we going to be smart enough to observe, learn and impliment? Probably only if there is big money in it for the powers that be. Government, epsecailly at the highest levels, aren't really looking for solutions, they are looking for power and money. If it can't be had, it won't get done.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

While California is in a world of hurt, I tend to wonder about the environmental impact of mass desalinization.

Where does the salt go?

I've heard that small fish can get caught as the water gets sucked in.

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

While Californida is in a world of hurt, I tend to wonder about the environmental impact of mass desalinization.

Where does the salt go?

here is a good, fairly recent article on the pros and cons of desalination plants in california.

http://ww2.kqed.org/science/2015/03/30/why-isnt-desalination-the-answer-to-all-californias-water-pro...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Thank you @sunshine45.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sandraskates wrote:

While Californida is in a world of hurt, I tend to wonder about the environmental impact of mass desalinization.

Where does the salt go?

here is a good, fairly recent article on the pros and cons of desalination plants in california.

http://ww2.kqed.org/science/2015/03/30/why-isnt-desalination-the-answer-to-all-californias-water-pro...

Thank you for this, @sunshine45

(And I will need to switch my silly word "desalinization" to "desalination" from now on!)

Even if California didn't go much farther with desalination, simply increasing drip irrigation and using recycled water for crops would be of enormous benefit.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Salt River Project (AZ) has been operating for 100 years and is one of the most successful water management resources in the country.   So.....it is possible to have water in the desert................    Of course, we don't have the huge population, so it's probably not the answer for everyone.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach

Thank you, Homegirl.

Some of this is addressed in "Made in Israel" available for viewing on CBN at:  cbn dot com/special/made-in-israel/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Desalination is an extremely expensive process.  Expect water rates to soar where it's implemented.

Much of the Southwest has been in serious drought for years so we're slightly amused at California's sudden realization that it hasn't rained there much lately.  I went almost a year without measurable rain at my house in 2013.

I can say we have few private swimming pools, few grassy lawns and our golf courses were designed to be watered with recycled water.  In the Rio Grande Valley South of Albuquerque and in small farming communities up and down the river, farms are watered from centuries old acaquias, a type of hand dug ditch.  Much of the Rio water is apportioned to Texas by treaty.

So you Californians aren't the only ones with drought problems.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment