Honored Contributor

Watching tiny house hunters on HGTV last night.

Most seem to be in California where the mild weather would make them more practical, but one couple built in Dayton, Ohio. They showed it being built, I watched for them to be insulating it, but did not see that. They put in a composting toilet so it doesn't need a septic system but they did not address what they were going to do with bath and kitchen sink dirty water. Any sewage lines etc coming out the bottom of the house would have to be protected from freezing in the winter.Maybe they are only planning to use this place in the summer.Even campers are not usable in the winter unless they are specifically designed with nordic packages to address these issues.

Respected Contributor

Re: Watching tiny house hunters on HGTV last night.

@151949 wrote:

Most seem to be in California where the mild weather would make them more practical, but one couple built in Dayton, Ohio. They showed it being built, I watched for them to be insulating it, but did not see that. They put in a composting toilet so it doesn't need a septic system but they did not address what they were going to do with bath and kitchen sink dirty water. Any sewage lines etc coming out the bottom of the house would have to be protected from freezing in the winter.Maybe they are only planning to use this place in the summer.Even campers are not usable in the winter unless they are specifically designed with nordic packages to address these issues.

I did watch the shows, but only glancing back and forth. The thing that got my attention was the cost of these buildings. If you figure the cost per square foot, these buildings (unfinished) sell for more than the cost of new construction - finished in high quality finishes -  in my area.  I don't see how they can justify these prices, and then you have to purchase land separately.  They were talking about $19,000.00 for an unfinished building of only 1,000 sq. ft.  Doesns't seem like a very economical purchase IMHO.

Honored Contributor

I only caught the last few minutes of the last one where they bought the shell for $13,000. and completed the rest themselves.  The places were so cute but I would not want to live with anyone in such a small space.  For myself that small place would be fine but to share no way.  I will look for more of these "tiny" shows I love all the other house hunters shows too.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I love the House Hunter shows. I watched last night and wondering how they were going to fit all the kids in the house. Really cute houses but hard to live in as a large family. I owned one. Was in my family for years. I lived in it alone but when I had children way to small. I loved this house looked like a Victorian doll house.
Honored Contributor

I am intrigued by the idea and think they are so cute.  One would be great for reading, thinking, writing, just getting some quiet time, but  just thinking about trying to fit into one full time is overwhelming.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The appeal to me is that they look like play-houses or tree-houses.  But I need walls because I have some large paintings that are cherished possessions.

The start up costs per square foot is high, but most of these folks pay cash, have little to heat or light or plumb. So the carrying costs are low.  If they only have a small lot, the taxes will be low as well.

The buyers say that the small house is easier to maintain, but I lived in a microcopic half-attic in NYC (5th floor walkup).  It was a tiny space (I had one coat closet and a way scaled down stove and fridge) and I had to clean and cull constantly or I would have suffocated in stuff. 

If I am able to move back to New England, I'll see many houses around my target size (900 square feet), as heating a big house with oil is really expensive these days, as many posters know.  New Englanders have always favored the smallest house possible, but I wouldn't attempt 300 square feet, especially in the tiny houses that require a ladder and a loft for sleeping. 

Honored Contributor

There was one couple with four children who bought a 600sq ft home.They sold a mcmansion, wanted to be out of debt.It would be interesting to see how that works out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The couple in Ohio had 4 cats,so that required two litterboxes right out in their living space, right next to where they eat. Definitely not for me!

Honored Contributor

Burnsite,when we lived in the NE we lived in 1000 sq ft. We felt it was quite comfortable in size.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I live in a smallish house now, around 1200 sf, and can lose some of that space.

There is a house I am considering that is probably about 800 square feet, and it's a lovely little house. It's not on the market but may be going on sale in the next year or so.

The only downside is that I would like wall space for pictures, and this particular house has windows everywhere.  I still may buy it, though.  The lady who lived there was a friend of my family's and a sweetheart.  It's a house with good vibes.  There is plenty of space there for just me and the 2 cats.  Letty had six kids tucked away in various postage-stamp-sized alcoves and bedrooms.