Honored Contributor

Early this morning, I was watching an old Dr. Phil on OWN.  There was a woman that authored a book titled "Get off your butt and out of my Wallet."  LOL   The program was about men not working and taking care of the home but not doing any housework, no cooking and their child is way behind in language development.  I say throw him out!!!  HOw about you?

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Watching an old Dr. Phil

@Katcat1 wrote:

Early this morning, I was watching an old Dr. Phil on OWN.  There was a woman that authored a book titled "Get off your butt and out of my Wallet."  LOL   The program was about men not working and taking care of the home but not doing any housework, no cooking and their child is way behind in language development.  I say throw him out!!!  HOw about you?

would be great if they did updates on those old shows 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Katcat1 I say she is living with a problem and she can do something about it.  HER choice.   

Super Contributor

I say it can go for both men and women!

Honored Contributor

The problem with traditional men's chores vs. women's is the men can put off their chores until after the game or the next day or whatever.   Mowing for example.

But women can't tell the kids she'll feed them tomorrow.

I don't think men understand you can mow once every 2 weeks but you can't clean a bathroom once every 2 weeks.    So even if you divide the chores, the women always get the short end of the stick because womens chores must be done regularly and on time.

Ex husband only did what he wanted, when he wanted.   Whether it was taking out trash or mowing or whatever because that's a man's job.   it's actually a form of abuse, it's a dictatorship.   He makes the rules and I had to follow.    That's one reason he's an EX.

Now my late husband was a jewel.  If he saw dirt or dust, he wiped it.    We did chores together.  I did not expect him to do traditional chores, I know how to use a screwdriver.  If a handle came loose, I'd tighten it, not blame him for not doing it.

Honored Contributor

I would NEVER support any man!!!!👿

Honored Contributor

Each partner should generally be able to do all chores without labeling them. There are exceptions of course when strength or height might be a factor.

Having said this, it's up to each family to do what they both agree on.

O/T: "Dr." Phil is a tool. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

It could be that some spouses didn't set the daily rules at the beginning (or before) the marriage.

From the beginning, they just 'let things go', so to speak.

So what they ended up with are 'couch potatoes' (or laying on their bed watching TV or fooling around on their computers- potatoes).

No helpful 'chores' (laundry, taking out trash, helping with children, etc., etc.). 

One has to slightly blame the other spouse/SO for 'training' the other one to be non-helpful.

I've seen this happen re: husbands, although it could very well be happening re: women.  

Well, just observations......

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).