Honored Contributor

Re: Watching a show on whales, got me to wondering how many here have seen a wild

I've seen, touched and backed off gently from black bears. My DD has played with dolphins, sharks and all the other things under the sea. By the way ... she is nuts. LOL My former boss has seen the Whales in Alaska and he said it was one of the most awesome things he has ever seen. He and his wife plan on now going there every year hoping to see them again.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Re: Watching a show on whales, got me to wondering how many here have seen a wild

I have seen whales all of my life living in the Pacific Northwest.I see them all of the time when I take the ferry from Vancouver to Nanamo.They are always a joy to see no matter how mant times you see them
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, in Byron Bay, Australia we used to sit on top of the rocks and watch the humpback whales come up from their summer feeding in Antarctica. You can see their whole outline in the shallower water and it is breathtaking. They are just amazing. They come within just a few hundred yards of the place we watch them from. Most of the crazy animals I have seen up close have been in Australia. Kangaroos hoping around, huge tropical birds, koala bears, and some beautiful fish and sharks while scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Yes, In Hawaii. The boat pulled along side of a whale and her baby, so exciting! Then, a bit later on the other side, all of a sudden, a whale tail rose from the sea, again, so exciting!

Mt. Lions, bobcats, coyotes, deer, skunks, , etc. live here, have seen all except the Mt. Lion, and hope never to see one here.

Valued Contributor

Dolphins, an elk, also mule deer, which we don't have here and wild horses. I want to visit the Amazon one day and perhaps alaska.
Honored Contributor

The most awesome thing I ever saw was a huge bull elk that walk right in front of our car at night as we were slowly driving down a gravel road in the mountains near Ruidoso, NM. He wasn't more than than 10 ft from the car. I had no idea they were so huge close-up. Same with a buffalo I was able to get close to as it was in a stall at a livestock auction. I was 5'5" and it's shoulder was over my head. I've also seen humpback whales but it's hard to grasp their size since you don't usually see the whole animal at one time and you're not so close to them.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I live in the Catskill Mountains in upstate NY and I've seen all kinds of small game. I've had male and female deer walk right up on my lawn, and I once had a mother bear and three cubs in my driveway.

When we were in Alaska we got close enough to a whale that we could hear it breathing when it came up for air. We took a quick walking tour of an island and the boat captain got off with a double-barreled shotgun. Fortunately he didn't have to use it.

Honored Contributor

Whales, sea lions, otters, dolphins...see these all the time since I live on the CA coast.

Inland, we see deer,raccoons, bobcats, possums, skunks and other small animals often.

occasionally, we see black bears, mountain lions, wild boars,...I've seen all of these, but most people don't.

Honored Contributor

Swimming with dolphins is harrassment, at best and closer to animal abuse. I've whales in Cape Cod waters. I've been on boats and seen dolphins and whales; I had an up close encounter with a big moose in Maine. It was frightening. A majestic animal but huge does not begin to describe him.
Respected Contributor

I have seen black bears and grizzlies in their own habitat.........deer, elk, otters, whales, dolphins and probably a whole bunch more...............not a fan of zoos.....................................raven

Oh geeze how could I forget................and a linx who when we were parked in the mountains checking out our map, jumped out of a tree onto the hood of the car.........he wasn't real happy to have us there

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo