Respected Contributor

Re: Watch out for house fires ,in this heat

PLEASE!  Take any Fire advice given.  My family has survived 2.  One in 91',  and the other in 09'.  You "think" you have time to save this or that.  You don't.  Just Get Your Loved Ones Out!!!  And Don't Go Back In!!!  

If you have young Children?  Do A Drill.  Question them.  Where do we meet?  Then, do it again.

With the 1st fire, our Children were young.  We drilled, thinking this would never ever happen to us.  We were all in different parts of the house  when Dad Yelled FIRE!

ALL OUR CHILDREN WERE STANDING IN THEIR DESIGNATED SPOT OUTSIDE!!!  Please - Do That Drill.  Heart

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

On vacation in Las Vegas, 114 degrees. My dh and I were waiting for a bus. Across the street in front of a hotel,  bushes went up in flames, spontaneously.

If I hadn’t seen it I would not have believed it.

@Hooty wrote:

WTH, I have never heard of summer time heat causes fires, I live in the South and it is HOT every summer year after year!!!

Honored Contributor

We had put down fresh mulch in our landscaping ,i saw it catch fire because of the heat ,and sun.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@just bee  they were lucky ,the fire dept got there right away, and most of the damage was confined to the garage. Of course the  toxic fumes, and the smoke,e damaged the entire inside of the house

That little dog ,and the smoke detectors, saved their lives. So please ,check your batteries, and keep all oily rags in an airtight container, preferable outside not in the sun

I am so sorry that happened to you @just bee 

@cherry 

What's funny is that our dog is so smart, so alert, but he didn't say a thing when the house was burning.  He was so focused on the stove and what we were cooking! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Mistic wrote:

PLEASE!  Take any Fire advice given.  My family has survived 2.  One in 91',  and the other in 09'.  You "think" you have time to save this or that.  You don't.  Just Get Your Loved Ones Out!!!  And Don't Go Back In!!!  

@Mistic 

Better-half and I smelled something and he opened the door to the garage to investigate.  That's when he saw smoke and orange flames.  He got the three of us out of the house immediately.  We didn't even have time to turn off the stove!

The firefighters explained to us how close we were to frying.  If he hadn't closed that door and pushed us out to the backyard, we would have been burned to a crisp.

I also think about the vehicle that ignited.  We had been in it just an hour or so before we came home and started cooking.  What if it had exploded when the three of us were inside it?

You are correct.  I wanted to move my car out of the garage which was ridiculous.  The garage was already engulfed.

Just get out and keep moving!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@just bee   I'm so sorry to hear about your house fire.  As I mentioned my neighbors lost their house about 7 years ago.  Everything except for a few photo albums that were found in the basement was gone.

They were set up in a temporary living arrangment and planned at first to rebuild.  However they decided to sell before moving in to start a new chapter in their lives.  A young family now lives there in a new beautiful home.  They now live in a very nice retirement community and are happy to be in their own home again.  It will take some time and you will eventually have a beautiful new home too! 

Wishing you the best!

@haddon9 

Thanks!  We're enjoying the rental -- it's tiny and cute and it's in a great little neighborhood.  The dog loves it!

Honored Contributor

That can easily happen with anything that has solvents on them, and with ashes too.

Trusted Contributor

Unbelievably some negligent people still dump dirty oil and other flammables from vehicle engines, old paint and thinner cans in the woods, rather than disposing of them properly. Even glass such as bottles or jars can ignite in the hot sun. Then we have forest fires which can also consume many homes. Not to mention wildlife habitats. 

I doubt they can care, unless their own property goes up in flames, but it's good for the public to stay aware. Here they will take the railroad maintenance road at night, and make their dumps on other people's properties — including ours. Naturally, it's illegal, but hard to catch them at it, or identify them. 

Keep a close watch on your property, friends. 

Thanks OP for the reminder. 

Honored Contributor

@just bee   So sorry for your loss.  I can not imagine how hard this has been for you.

I could have written everything you wrote.  You mentioned the cars caught fire...were they the cause of the fire? What started the fire?

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@just bee   So sorry for your loss.  I can not imagine how hard this has been for you.

I could have written everything you wrote.  You mentioned the cars caught fire...were they the cause of the fire? What started the fire?

@SeaMaiden 

It appears that Better-half's truck started it.  Our insurance company and the car company will have to figure this one out.  The car company has removed the vehicle.  We may never know the outcome.

All I know is that we had two vehicles that were paid for and mine was a 2013 with 29,000 miles on it -- and we had to go out and replace both of them. Woman Sad