Honored Contributor

Re: Watch out for deer (accident)

@DianeFM wrote:

Right!  I live in southeastern Oklahoma.  Deer are quite thick in this part of the country.  Thank the heavens neither myself nor anyone in my immediate family have had a deer encounter while driving.  It most definitely is on my mind this time of year especially.

@DianeFM. That's where I hit my deer, just east of Sallislaw on IH-40.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

We have elk here. You don't ever want to hit one of those on the highway.

Or a moose.  Honestly, I'm pretty sure that people who live in those areas know the risks and hazzards and know how to drive safely.  But we cannot control what happens in life, especially when we are dealing with wildlife.  So "what out for deer" made me smile a little.  My inlaws live in northern Maine and I imagine they would smile to at the idea that anyone in their neck of the woods wouldn't "look out" for deer, moose, bear etc etc etc.  The problem is it's two way street and the animals aren't always looking out for us.  That's when bad things happen.   I never hit anything like that but I had to pull over, shut the car off and wait patiently until a big bull moose decided to get off the road.  I had to wait, it's not like I had a choice.

Honored Contributor

I am glad your son is okay,  My DH hit a dear a few years ago and it caused quite a bit of damage to his SUV, but he was okay.

I live in PA and the deer are over populated.  They are everywhere.  One came  right up to my front door and ate the dried corn off of my wreath.  As soon as it gets dark, they are in my yard.  They lie there and then they are on the move again about 4 am.

It’s not just this time of year, they are a nuisance all year around and bold as all get out.  When I walk my dogs in the evening, they walk close right in front of us which gets my dogs barking and pulling.  I think they tease my dogs on purpose.  They scare me because they are so big. I don’t trust them.

i have a neighbor who feeds them, so they will never go away on their own.

My DH goes hunting every year and says he sees no deer during hunting season.  Too bad he can't hunt in our yard.

The Game Commission has found deer with wasting disease in our area and they are asking hunters to donate the deer heads for research. They don't want this disease to spread to other areas.

Be safe everyone and careful.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

We have elk here. You don't ever want to hit one of those on the highway.

Or a moose.  Honestly, I'm pretty sure that people who live in those areas know the risks and hazzards and know how to drive safely.  But we cannot control what happens in life, especially when we are dealing with wildlife.  So "what out for deer" made me smile a little.  My inlaws live in northern Maine and I imagine they would smile to at the idea that anyone in their neck of the woods wouldn't "look out" for deer, moose, bear etc etc etc.  The problem is it's two way street and the animals aren't always looking out for us.  That's when bad things happen.   I never hit anything like that but I had to pull over, shut the car off and wait patiently until a big bull moose decided to get off the road.  I had to wait, it's not like I had a choice.

@chrystaltree  Your story made me laugh.  We had to wait for a herd of water buffalo to get off of a road while in Vietnam and almost missed a river cruise.  Those animals won’t move until they are ready and they move slow. They lie down and take their time.

i have seen those giant bull moose’s in Maine and they are magnificant.  Thanks goodness they were only at the side of the road.  I wouldn’t mess with them.  They are huge.

Esteemed Contributor

I love in the mountains three hours North of Phoenix and we dread the Winter months because there are long dark rural stretches of road.  Although we have deer, Elk is our issue and we frequently have near missed (and we see carasses-- they are huge!!!!).  Sometimes it we are in Phoenix for the day we choose to spend the night if we can't make it home by dark.

Contributor

I often drive to and from from work in the wee hours of the am.  I’ve found that keeping my fog lights on helps me see them along the side of the road a bit earlier.   

The stags are on a mission during rutting season and I can’t belive how fast they run.  One night AROUND 2:00am I saw one running along the road on a rainy night.  I slowed down to 35MPH so he could get ahead of me.  He decided to cross the road, slipped and rolled on the wet pavement.  Got up and kept running.  I wonder if he got his doe.  He had to be running at least 40 MPH. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the replies and wow you all have encountered deer, elk, etc! I am glad my son is ok too. 

You know, I wont eat deer meat anymore and I told my FIL that the deer are cute. And he said it wont be cute when one hits your car, and now look it happened to my son. I know what FIL meant, that's another reason to hunt (because there are so many deer), but I still cant eat deer meat.

My husband drives back roads from here to work in the morning when its dark. He has had near hits with deer and one time he almost hit a cow that got out of a fence on a farm! He stopped inches from hitting the cow.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles