Honored Contributor

Re: Watch out. Stores are clearing old stock from their warehouses right now

@Just Bling @It's instant. It's drinkable. I just drank a cup. Not as good as usual, but I can drink it. 

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 @This is one way they can offer items priced at lower prices than competitors. I've never received any food item this close to expiration from Walmart before though. 

Honored Contributor

last order with Walmart I received one year past  expiration date dry dog food... never again will I order dog food from walmart. I usually always do chewy, but, I was on walmarts site doing a regular order and thought I would try it out.  They did give me a refund.

Honored Contributor

BP (Before Pandemic) I was cruising around in CVS and overheard a fascinating conversation.

The Coke salesman was there talking to the Manager.  He was wheeling and dealing and the Manager was agreeing to take older stock as the price for HIM got better and better.  

Get the drift here?  They are making money off of it many times, not just having it around.  Actually ordering it and knowing it is about to expire.  And this CVS is busy day and night, so I'd never really looked at dates from there much because turnover is rapid.  But come to find out, it was pretty common when I started to moniter before I bought.

Respected Contributor

I've learned so much about food distribution since the start of the pandemic because I'm still limited to curbside pickup and shipping. One well known produce vendor told me (I had called with a complaint) that some supermarkets demand long sell-by dates, others accept shorter, and some say call me and tell me what you've got.

Bananas don't have a sell-by sticker on them, but both wholesaler and supermarket know exactly how long they can be sold.

Regular Contributor

this will continue to happen until we stop paying people to stay home!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden @Was the dog food shipped and sold by Walmart, or was it from another vendor? 

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@PickyPicky3 @This is one way they can offer items priced at lower prices than competitors. I've never received any food item this close to expiration from Walmart before though. 

I started noticing this too, with some ot the stores that we shop at.

There's a supermarket in our area that gets food products in at large volumes, and when I checked the dates on them, they're not far from expiring.

The store owner will put them on sale for really good sale prices.

I was also wondering if some of these close expiration dates aren't due to shipping issues too, with food products sitting in warehouses and being unable to be delivered, unloaded, and so on.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@SeaMaiden @Was the dog food shipped and sold by Walmart, or was it from another vendor? 

@Mindy D   Not sure