Honored Contributor

Watch on Antiques Roadshow worth $700,000 shocks owner

[ Edited ]

A veteran that ordered a Rolex from the base store for $345 in 1974 got the shock of his life on an episode of Antiques Roadshow. The watch is similar to the watch Paul Newman wore in the movie “Winning.” The watch is a Rolex 1971 Oyster Cosmograph. The watch was valued so highly because the owner never wore the watch and kept all the original boxes and paperwork, including receipt and warranty.  When the expert told the owner that most of the watches of this type are worth $400,000 he fell to the floor. Things got better for this man when the expert said that his watch was worth far more than $400K due to its pristine condition and corresponding papers and boxes. The vet had planned to use the watch for diving but when he received it he thought it was too nice for that purpose and he put the watch in storage for 45 years.

Honored Contributor

Re: Watch on Antiques Roadshow worth $700,000 shocks owner

Wow! How exciting! Wonder if he is going to put it up for auction...
Esteemed Contributor

I bought that model from the Base Exchange around 1970; my brother still has it (but he has worn it plenty).

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

A veteran that ordered a Rolex from the base store for $345 in 1974 got the shock of his life on an episode of Antiques Roadshow. The watch is similar to the watch Paul Newman wore in the movie “Winning.” The watch is a Rolex 1971 Oyster Cosmograph. The watch was valued so highly because the owner never wore the watch and kept all the original boxes and paperwork, including receipt and warranty.  When the expert told the owner that most of the watches of this type are worth $400,000 he fell to the floor. Things got better for this man when the expert said that his watch was worth far more than $400K due to its pristine condition and corresponding papers and boxes. The vet had planned to use the watch for diving but when he received it he thought it was too nice for that purpose and he put the watch in storage for 45 years.

Problem is, its only worth 400,000 if you sell it or get it insured, then have an insurance loss. Sitting at home in a box with papers its a 345.00 watch

Respected Contributor

I saw that episode last night, the guy fell down for dramatic effect, he didn't faint.  He got up when the evaluator walked around the table to ask him if he was all right.  He knew he was on camera and was "playing to the crowd", although I am sure he never guessed the watch was worth over half a million dollars.  If the man had any sense in his head he sold that sucker PDQ, long before the episode aired!!!

Contributor

I like watching Antiques Roadshow. But I do have to wonder about their pricing.

Example.  One of my co-workers is a HUGE Beatles fan.  We both saw an episode were someone had what they call The Butcher Baby cover. Before they changed it to another cover.

The show said that the album was worth $500.00.  When I talked to my co-worker about it he started laughing (he said he yelled at the TV when they said $500.00).  He goes to alot of record conventions and he noted you can get the album still in the plastic for $50 (and this is not people playing it once and re-shrinkwrapping it).  

While I think that watch is worth "something." I don't think  it is worth $700,000.00.  Probably more like $5,000.00 at the most. 

Honored Contributor

Antiques Roadshow knows all about the item for months (depending on the item) if not a year before they actually examine it a few weeks before the show is filmed (which is around 3-6 months before the public see it on air). The price mentioned is the top possible price a person COULD get if they sold it via auction with a well known auction house. The nice thing is they provide you with their research and appraisal which you can use to get the item insured. NO ONE goes on that show without being aware that their item is unique; it's all scheduled. That said, they don't tell you the VALUE until that moment so the shock is real (being super valuable or being worth nothing and you THOUGHT it was valuable).

Honored Contributor

A collector of Paul Newman memorabilia may pay a pretty penny for it, but it isn't the actual watch Paul Newman himself wore.

I think the connection to Paul was what made the value seem so high but it would be interesting to see if anybody would pay that amount to own this watch.

I wonder if any insurance company would place that high of a value.

Anyway, good luck to the owner.  I didn't seen the show but I'm sure it was quite a shock.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Now he can afford a haircut