Esteemed Contributor

Re: Watch for stimulus direct deposit into unexpected bank account

[ Edited ]

We had a stimulus fiasco...the 1st one. Forget contacting them about anything. (That's too long of a story.) Finally, though, we did receive the card. (Like a week ago!)

The 2nd one, no problem. And the 3rd, we made arrangments for it to go directly into checking. We provided the account number, the whole bit.

Lo & behold! It appeared in a savings.

Ya know!?

addendum: My DH & I go by 2 different last names. He just explained that he thought he knew how the IRS would have made the deposit in that savings, even though my name is on that, too. 

Well, that explains the whole story now, (doesn't it?)

Honored Contributor

The IRS is full of surprises!! First time, paper check. Second time, debit card. Today deposit into my bank account!

I'm a widow with a simple tax return and a SS beneficiary. First time around I read that SS recipients would get automtic deposits. Uh uh.

But I'm just glad it's there and don't have to wait to get "something" in the mail!

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ 

We heard that too, but it didn't work for us. Dh had to sign up thru the IRS website. They used that info and sent the check for both of us to his checking account. 

Esteemed Contributor

Received the first fast. Not this one yet. Different administration?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We received this check quicker than the previous ones. Was in the account on March 17. Last year, it was a couple of months before we got the money.

Esteemed Contributor

Got mine direct deposited last night *Sunday *.........first one DD - second one Check and now third DD.

Honored Contributor

@ Mindy.  I was reacting to the final sentence in your first post where you said “What if....”  Because that was the last point you made, for me that became as important as the message you wanted to send about where to look for a stimulus check.

please note -  I have no reason to think you do not totally trust DH

Valued Contributor

We received ours today; direct deposit into our joint checking account just like the other two. Grateful to receive it.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

Banks have to report all interest earned on accounts to the government.  It prevents tax fraud.  That is likely the way they got that account info.

I worked my way through college working for a bank and also worked in banking all summers vacations before we started our family.

Respected Contributor

Mine was direct deposited today.  The first check was paper and the 2nd was a debit card.