Honored Contributor

Watch for stimulus direct deposit into unexpected bank account

[ Edited ]

Very strange to see this today. For the past two stimulus payments we received checks. I file income taxes jointly every year but I did not give the IRS bank information for any direct deposits of any monies due us. Both of us receive direct deposit of Social Security. Husband gets the direct deposit into our joint account while I  get the direct deposit into an individual savings account. Husband has a third account, a personal savings  account.  All of these accounts are with the same bank.

For the last two stimulus checks, which were made out to us jointly, we both endorsed the back of each check. Due to the pandemic, I had set up a bank app to synchronize with my savings account and our joint account because the app allows you to photo deposit endorsed checks into the account, saving us a trip to the bank. The last two checks, once received, were photo deposited into this account through the app. Prior to this, I never used a banking app. I'd only go to the bank website online. I was apprehensive about using an app for banking.

Today, when I went to the bank online, my savings account has a direct deposit for $2800 pending,(I can see all my accounts there). This is wild! Either the IRS used the direct deposit banking information from the other stimulus checks to make this new stimulus direct deposited into my savings or they are using only my Social Security direct deposit into that account. They just bypassed any direct deposit Social Security has for my husband's direct deposit to do this. 

I'm not complaining. This makes things easier, eliminating a step to make a deposit, but it is bold. Suppose we wanted to put the money into my husband's separate savings or our joint account. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Watch for stimulus direct deposit into unexpected bank account

@Mindy D wrote:

Very strange to see this today. For the past two stimulus payments we received checks. I file income taxes jointly every year but I did not give the IRS bank information for any direct deposits of any monies due us. Both of us receive direct deposit of Social Security. Husband gets the direct deposit into our joint account while I  get the direct deposit into an individual savings account. Husband has third account, a personal savings third account.  All of these accounts are with the same bank.

For the last two stimulus checks,made out to us jointly, we both endorsed the back of each check. Due to the pandemic, I had set up a bank app to synchronize with my savings account because the app allows you to photo deposit endorsed checks into the account, saving us a trip to the bank. The last two checks, once received, were photo deposited into this account through the app. Prior to this, I never used a banking app. I'd only go to the bank website online. I was apprehensive about using an app for banking.

Today, when I went to the bank online, my savings account has a direct deposit for $2800 pending,(I can see all my accounts there). This is wild! Either the IRS used the direct deposit banking information from the other stimulus checks to make this new stimulus direct deposited into my savings or they are using only my Social Security direct deposit into that account. They just bypassed any direct deposit Social Security has for my husband's direct deposit to do this. 

I'm not complaining. This makes things easier, eliminating a step to make a deposit, but it is bold. Suppose we wanted to put the money into my husband's separate savings or our joint account. 

I have the same situation.  We have never given the IRS our checking/savings account.  Today in the porthole which previously they said not enough information or not qualified, it indicated a direct deposit. 

Regular Contributor

If it's the IRS, you just never know do you?  We receive paper checks even though they have all of our bank info.  Our CPA says it's just chance for many.  Look at it this way, at least you got it and congratulations!

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   if I didn’t trust DH enough to know we could move that money as we wanted to once it arrived, I wouldn’t be sharing accounts with him anyway.

As it is, if you want those dollars in different accounts, you can move them with a few clicks.  I’m a dinosaur and use my banking apps for many tasks I would have done in person years ago.  I didn’t even want to use the ATM at my own bank when it first went in.

Esteemed Contributor

I heard if you collect Social Security by direct deposit the stimulus funds get deposited there.It gets deposited into one account even if you collect Social Security in 2 separate accounts.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Mindy D   if I didn’t trust DH enough to know we could move that money as we wanted to once it arrived, I wouldn’t be sharing accounts with him anyway.

As it is, if you want those dollars in different accounts, you can move them with a few clicks.  I’m a dinosaur and use my banking apps for many tasks I would have done in person years ago.  I didn’t even want to use the ATM at my own bank when it first went in.

@millieshops @I know that we can move the money. I'm just letting people know that the stimulus might show up in an unexpected account.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@millieshops @What does trust have to do with this? We have the different accounts for different uses, not because we don't trust each other. 

Valued Contributor

We both get SS checks by direct deposit but received paper stimulus checks.

Haven't got the third check yet. I hope we do.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I heard if you collect Social Security by direct deposit the stimulus funds get deposited there.It gets deposited into one account even if you collect Social Security in 2 separate accounts.

@NicksmomESQ @The previous two stimulus checks were not deposited into either of the two accounts we have our social security payments direct deposited into. This latest deposit has to be related to the account we used to deposit our two other stimulus checks into. This same account does get my Social Security direct deposited into, but not my husband's. 

We don't have an account on file with the IRS for direct deposit, but we do file, and we file jointly.

Honored Contributor

@frenchie wrote:

We both get SS checks by direct deposit but received paper stimulus checks.

Haven't got the third check yet. I hope we do.

@frenchie @That's what we got for the first two stimulus checks and that's how we get our SS..by direct deposit.