Respected Contributor

Re: Watch Your Neck at the Beauty Shop!

@Yardlie  Thanks so much for this information.  My mom is 93, has severe neck problems, and insists on going tp the beauty parlor every week.  I'm going to pursue this.  In the meantime, I'm offering a prayer for you and your Mom.

Esteemed Contributor

Sending you and your mom best wishes for a successful recovery of this strange (to me) neck problem. I walked the dementia path for 14 years with my mom. It's exhausting trying to stay a step ahead of their needs to keep them safe. Fortunately, we were able to place mom in Assisted Living and Skilled Care (I also have health problems). Blessings for caring for your mom.

Thanks for bringing this neck problem to our attention. I have never heard of it.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yardlie  I hope your mother is feeling better.  Bless her heart.  I have only one Aunt living now and she is 95.  She called me for my birthday yesterday.  She is sharp as a tack.  Still wears a little makeup and pointed toe shoes!  lol  Anyway, I was at the beauty shop today for a haircut.  I love going just for the shampoo/conditioner.  Once my stylist puts the conditioner on, she massages my scalp and it feels heavenly.  Then she takes a very warm wet towel and places on my head for a few minutes.  Then rinses the conditioner out.  It's a real treat.  My neck did not feel bad but you would think in this day and age there would a new design with cushions for the neck area.  That is, something more comfortable with support.  Bless you for taking care of your mother.  I know that is a lot of work.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Sending you and your mom best wishes for a successful recovery of this strange (to me) neck problem. I walked the dementia path for 14 years with my mom. It's exhausting trying to stay a step ahead of their needs to keep them safe. Fortunately, we were able to place mom in Assisted Living and Skilled Care (I also have health problems). Blessings for caring for your mom.

Thanks for bringing this neck problem to our attention. I have never heard of it.

@BirkiLady ... 14 years? Oh my! You must be part angel. I've been doing this 8 years, and I am mentally fried and physically exhausted. I was looking into placing her somewhere for a couple weeks of respite care. Then this happened. Yesterday she was moved to a nursing home. The sad thing is most nursing homes will not take advanced dementia patients who also need physical rehab. That is a whole part of the health care system that is lacking in our country. Her dementia has become a lot worse since fracturing her neck. Changes in environment cause a lot of confusion for dementia patients. First she was home, then the ER, then on one hospital floor, then on another hospital floor, and now in a skilled nursing facility. Maybe the head injury caused the dementia to become worse. We'll have to wait and see.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. 

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yardlie  We've been through exactly what you are doing. It confusing for your mom. Help her understand what it going on by reminding her over and over and over. She'll forget but she needs to be reassured again and again that you are taking care of the details and she will be fine. She needs to be comforted. She's in a cold, strange and lonely place. Warm hugs are so important right now! 

Are you in a large enough City that you have several options available? I was fortunate to be able to visit many facilities and select the best of them! I did and placed mom in the one which suited her needs at the time and what I anticipated for the future, including PT, a foot Dr. on staff (to trim her toenails), a whirlpool bath (she hated showers after the dementia became worse), a beauty shop, a store (in-house) to buy M&M's, an in-house movie theater (which she loved until the last two years; then she couldn't concentrate enough to follow the movie), etc. I've forgotten what else we did in the Assisted Living and Skilled Care facilities . . . but I tried to keep her mind as active as possible by having her in the best place available. I also took word game, math games, state and world puzzles and we'd do them together. Some days were good; other days not so great. But it kept her occupied and her mind alive. When she no longer read her newspaper, I began reading books to her. We knitted together for many years. We took road trips, but as her energy waned we began to stay in Lincoln and simply drove around Lincoln. She had forgotten where she had lived and each trip was a new adventure. Mom loved those drives; they were painful for me, but so good for her that we continued to do them. Plus, she was getting fresh air and some sun! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. It's a long journey. I would not have missed sharing it with my mom for anything. It was so rewarding. The exhaustion was worth every minute. I learned more from that experience than from anything in any book or class on dementia or alzheimers. I'm now volunteering with our Church to help other families going through the same problems with loved one(s). It hits every family. Blessings.

ETA: Following this fall, your mom may become incontinent. That's when my mom began to go downhill with other problems . . . not just memory. I imagine that's why they have moved her and want PT for her balance, eating, walking, hygiene, dressing, etc. This is bringing back a flood of memories. More prayers for you. Strength, too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Yardlie  We've been through exactly what you are doing. It confusing for your mom. Help her understand what it going on by reminding her over and over and over. She'll forget but she needs to be reassured again and again that you are taking care of the details and she will be fine. She needs to be comforted. She's in a cold, strange and lonely place. Warm hugs are so important right now! 

Are you in a large enough City that you have several options available? I was fortunate to be able to visit many facilities and select the best of them! I did and placed mom in the one which suited her needs at the time and what I anticipated for the future, including PT, a foot Dr. on staff (to trim her toenails), a whirlpool bath (she hated showers after the dementia became worse), a beauty shop, a store (in-house) to buy M&M's, an in-house movie theater (which she loved until the last two years; then she couldn't concentrate enough to follow the movie), etc. I've forgotten what else we did in the Assisted Living and Skilled Care facilities . . . but I tried to keep her mind as active as possible by having her in the best place available. I also took word game, math games, state and world puzzles and we'd do them together. Some days were good; other days not so great. But it kept her occupied and her mind alive. When she no longer read her newspaper, I began reading books to her. We knitted together for many years. We took road trips, but as her energy waned we began to stay in Lincoln and simply drove around Lincoln. She had forgotten where she had lived and each trip was a new adventure. Mom loved those drives; they were painful for me, but so good for her that we continued to do them. Plus, she was getting fresh air and some sun! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. It's a long journey. I would not have missed sharing it with my mom for anything. It was so rewarding. The exhaustion was worth every minute. I learned more from that experience than from anything in any book or class on dementia or alzheimers. I'm now volunteering with our Church to help other families going through the same problems with loved one(s). It hits every family. Blessings.

ETA: Following this fall, your mom may become incontinent. That's when my mom began to go downhill with other problems . . . not just memory. I imagine that's why they have moved her and want PT for her balance, eating, walking, hygiene, dressing, etc. This is bringing back a flood of memories. More prayers for you. Strength, too. 

Bless you for being such a loving caring daughter, your mother was very lucky to have you.  Yes, it was exhausting for you but you can walk with your head held high, not many can do that. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady ... Unfortunately for this situation, we are in a small town right now. There are only two nursing homes. The nicer one was full, so we had to settle for the one she is in. If she has to stay there a long time, we will move her. Thank you for all your advice. Being a dementia caregiver is really a learning experience, plus you never know what to expect from day to day. She went downhill very quickly. Not sure if it is dementia or Alzheimer's. They only test for dementia and said it doesn't really matter which one it is. A year ago she was diagnosed with "mild cognitive impairment." A couple weeks ago she was diagnosed with "major cognitive impairment with unspecified behavioral disorder (basically, panic attacks)."

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

@Yardlie  Yes, I've never understood why the term "alzheimer" is used. It's not until an autopsy is completed until it is conclusive that a patient has suffered Alzheimer's. Makes no sense to refer to any mental state as anything other than cognitive impairment or dementia IMO. Yet, medical professionals (and the Alzheimers Assoc.!) use it all of the time in the wrong context. 

Homes for the elderly are usually at capacity, but do have openings. I completely understand not having an opening when you were looking. You are only able to do the best at the time. Keeping you and your mom in my prayers as always.

And sending strength, faith and courage as you walk the dementia path with your mom. She needs you with her all of the way! It's a honor you will never regret doing for your mom. Enjoy a Blessed Christmas with photos, recordings and gentle hugs.