Valued Contributor

Re: Watch Your Neck at the Beauty Shop!

@this is my nic Neurologists have long known about problems caused by those sinks, and hate them. It's clearly not common knowledge, but also not new information. I hope that is more clear, and that OPs mom heals fast.

Respected Contributor

Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments. I just got back from the hospital, and I am just exhausted. They have had to have a sitter with my mother because she keeps trying to rip the cervical collar off. It's due to a combination of being uncomfortable and having dementia. The nursing home won't take her until she has gone 48 hours without a sitter, so now they took the sitter out of the room. Those poor nurses who have to deal with patients with dementia!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Valued Contributor

@this is my nic  Neurologists have known about problems caused by salon sinks for a long time.  It's not new, but many don't know so I'm glad the OP posted and hope her mom heals fast. It is very serious and scary. 

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I'm so sorry that she had to go through that horrible experience!  Smiley Sad

I haven't been to a beauty parlor for a while, but what comes to mind for me is them taking a towel, folded nice and thick, and putting that between the neck and the bowl.  I didn't have to hyper-extend my neck at all, yet my head was fully positioned over the bowl.    I guess everybody doesn't do that, eh?

But, as you explained the things that could happen, I sure can see that type of thing happening with hyper-extension.  I never thought of that before, but I'm still trying to get used to getting old.

@chickenbutt ... I know what you mean about getting old! When the heck did that happen? It just sort of creeps up on you. As they say, it's better than the alternative.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

@Yardlie, I found your post very interesting, and I hope that your mother recuperates well.  I have always had a fear of the shampoo bowl, starting when i was a young child, and I really have not gotten over that fear.  I would see very large ladies with their necks in the curve in the bowl and wondered if anyone ever got their neck stuck.  Every time I get my hair done, and my friend does my hair so I know nothing is going to happen, I still have that fear.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I lived in Germany in the 60s and 70s the salons had forward facing wash basins.  In my opinion this is a much better position to wash hair.  I am prone to skin irritations on the back of my neck and I never had any problems when my hair was washed in that manner.

Respected Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

@GSPgirl  That is interesting about the foot stool.  You just sit as usual with your head back but with your feet on the stool?  

YesSmiley Happy. They are rubber, so they don’t slip on the floor.  I can’t believe something so simple can help us with the pain in the neck.   I guess lifting the feet takes the pressure of your neck. 

Esteemed Contributor

I never heard of such, @Yardlie. Your poor mother. I hope she does well in rehab, and thank you for making us aware of this.

Esteemed Contributor

How awful this happened to your mother at her age.  I feel so bad for her and hope she will be much better soon.  I'm also glad you brought up the situation about the shampoo bowls.  I had my hair done for many, many years and always felt very uncomfortable with my head so far back and actually had thoughts about the possibility of being injured.  Because of my very bad back it probably wasn't the best position for me to be in.   It's good to know that there is awareness out there of the problem. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

I have had two different fusions on C3-4 and C6-7. Because of this, everytime I go to my hair dresser she puts a padded foot stool under my feet while washing my hair. This makes me very comfortable and it really helps.