Honored Contributor

Re: Watch Out Florida! Maria is Coming!

According to GMA this morning the latest models are showing Florida will not take a hit from Maria.  It will hit PR and then turn east back out.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2U wrote:

I heard its curving after it hits all the islands and wont hit Florida but it could change they said so they will keep an eye on it. And I feel bad for those islands and I don't think they're getting "as much help" as the states, even though some of those are our territories. 

My best friend from school (who lives in CA. now), her parents retired to Puerto Rico. I tried to call her last week and couldn't get a hold of her (but they're always flying all over). I wonder how her parents are. I am going to try and call my friend again this week. 

@Shorty2U  I highly suggest try calling before tomorrow. The entire island of PR is going to be fully engulfed with a CAT 5 hurricane...currently packing 160 mph winds around the eye.

I am really afraid for the millions of folks who live there. It looks like the path of this hurricane is going through the entire width and length of the island unless there is a drastic change of coarse over the next 24 hrs.

St Croix is also going to be hit hard...

Super Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

It's too far out to say: there is a high pressure ridge dipping down on the continent and then another one out in the Atlantic....

Jose does not seem to be going anywhere soon either....one of the models has it possibly looping towards the south....crazy...the good news there is that colder water will sap some of its energy.

While we don't know about where Maria will go in terms of the continental US.....the islands are going to get another hit....it's heartbreaking.

They are trying so valiantly to recover too.....

I hope Sir Richard makes a large donation....I'm sure he will....

Poodlepet2

Hi Poodlepet2

Just wanted to say Hi to another Floridian,   Hopeing Maria will turn sooner than later. 

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@Zhills

Remember 2004! "We did it before, we'll do it again"-NOT! Nooo! Naaah!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Yes, we can but who wants to!

I don't understand why the hurricanes are so much stronger than before.  Every 10 years or so, we have a bad year.  Hope it's 10 before we have another one!

Waters are warmer due to the world's use of carbon based fuels -- fossil fuels. The melting of the ice caps also raises the water levels throughout the world also due to fossil fuel use. Hurricanes are heat engines, warm water fuels them, land and colder waters slows them down. 

We will see more and more stronger hurricanes as the oceans become warmer.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Well @JustJazzmom, the Deep Water Horizon spill went uncapped for how many days? Oil floats and can act like a magnifying glass filtering the sunlight and concentrating that alone.....

There has long been a dead zone in Lake Ponchartrain....everybody ignored it.....

and now....there has been a "dead zone" in the Gulf....

what happened will NEVER go away....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Well @JustJazzmom, the Deep Water Horizon spill went uncapped for how many days? Oil floats and can act like a magnifying glass filtering the sunlight and concentrating that alone.....

There has long been a dead zone in Lake Ponchartrain....everybody ignored it.....

and now....there has been a "dead zone" in the Gulf....

what happened will NEVER go away....

Poodlepet2

Source, please?

New Orleans levees failed after Katrina hit. Sounds like an engineering problem  

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

One storm after another, so many lives and futures threatened.   My prayers for all who have been or will be affected.    

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova