Honored Contributor

Re: Watch Ariana Grande Manchester Benefit Concert Live!

This is nice to know:

Philanthropy

At the age of ten Grande co-founded the South Florida youth singing group Kids Who Care, which performed for charitable fund-raising events and raised over $500,000 for charities in 2007 alone. In 2009, as a member of the charitable organization Broadway in South Africa, Grande, along with her brother Frankie, performed and taught music and dance to children in Gugulethu, South Africa. After watching Blackfish, she urged fans to stop supporting SeaWorld and became a vegan.

She was featured, along with Bridgit Mendler and Kat Graham, in Seventeen magazine in a March 2013 public campaign to end online bullying called "Delete Digital Drama".

In September 2014, Grande participated at the charitable Stand Up to Cancer television program, performing the title track "My Everything" in dedication to her grandfather, who had died from cancer in July. Heart

Grande, who has adopted several rescue dogs as pets, promoted pet adoption and paid the adoption fees of 35 rescue dogs in connection with her concerts at Madison Square Garden in New York City and American Airlines Arena in Miami in March 2015.

In 2016, she launched, with MAC Cosmetics, a line of lip shades called "Ariana Grande's MAC Viva Glam". All of the profits benefit people affected by HIV and AIDS.

wiki

Esteemed Contributor

Many singing artists have done a rendition of MAC's "Viva Glam."  I never knew that it was for charity, however.  This is good to know.

Rihanna

Miley Cyrus

Nicki Minaj

Lady Gaga

Fergie (Blackeyed Peas)

Eve

Pam Anderson

Christina Aguierella

Mary J. Blige

Elton John

KD Lang

Lil Kim

http://www.macaidsfund.org/theglam/campaignhistory

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Geeesh ladies all I did was ask a question.  Yes I have been mad at our government but I never said I hated my country.  I really dont see the need for the snarky remarks.  I dont even know anything about her or the type of music she does.  Never heard her to my knowledge so I dont have an opinion, just a question.  And yes I am an old hippie and proud of it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Am I wrong or wasnt she the one that said she hated America?

You've never been angry with your government?  I have.  Rightfully so. What's the big deal @Imaoldhippie?  She was even younger when she said that.  

The big deal is there needs to be the understanding, at even younger ages, that some things you say can't be taken back.

Being angry with your government, your parents or your spouse and speaking out words you don't mean or cannot take back, in anger or frustration are bad enough. But to do it publicly, especially when you have an elevated position in the public, has it's ramifications, and these young celebs who think they can say and do anything need to realize there might be long term consequences to the things they say and do (like have it brought up for years, have it affect their fan base or ticket sales, or their future).

We all know young people need to make their mistakes, figure out the person they really want to be. She got a big wake up call about the real world when this happened at her concert. She will never see life the same. She is changed forever, and hopefully for the better. 

But none if it will erase what she may have said or done in the past, and it isn't some kind of score card where those things get erased. It is all just a part of building who she is today, and will be in the future. The good, the bad and the ugly, they are all a big deal.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

You've never been angry with your government?  I have.  Rightfully so. What's the big deal @Imaoldhippie?  She was even younger when she said that.  

The big deal is there needs to be the understanding, at even younger ages, that some things you say can't be taken back.

Being angry with your government, your parents or your spouse and speaking out words you don't mean or cannot take back, in anger or frustration are bad enough. But to do it publicly, especially when you have an elevated position in the public, has it's ramifications, and these young celebs who think they can say and do anything need to realize there might be long term consequences to the things they say and do (like have it brought up for years, have it affect their fan base or ticket sales, or their future).

We all know young people need to make their mistakes, figure out the person they really want to be. She got a big wake up call about the real world when this happened at her concert. She will never see life the same. She is changed forever, and hopefully for the better. 

But none if it will erase what she may have said or done in the past, and it isn't some kind of score card where those things get erased. It is all just a part of building who she is today, and will be in the future. The good, the bad and the ugly, they are all a big deal.

@Mominohio, I give you a standing ovation for your post.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Mominohio that doesn't matter.  What matter is if she meant it.  The context in which she said it (and where) leads me to believe she said what she said during a moment in time as a young woman.

Even if it were true (how she felt) what would be wrong with it?

Furthermore, it hasn't affect her fan base or her ticket sales.  She's a major pop star (for now).  She, as an American has a right to voice her displeasure however true it is in her own country.

Finally, people taking the word "hate" literally because she said it  at 21 years of age.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Geeesh ladies all I did was ask a question.  Yes I have been mad at our government but I never said I hated my country.  I really dont see the need for the snarky remarks.  I dont even know anything about her or the type of music she does.  Never heard her to my knowledge so I dont have an opinion, just a question.  And yes I am an old hippie and proud of it.

@Imaoldhippie

Reporting straight from Haight St. at the time, I can assure you that many people did say that back in the day and it wasn't just hippies.  Young people do a lot of stupid things, God help us all if we are defined by the stupid things we have done when young.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I suspect that it's because many of us don't believe that you didn't know who she was, when you made a point of asking that.

Honored Contributor

eRe: Watch Ariana Grande Manchester Benefit Concert Live!

[ Edited ]

I really cant help what anyone else believes.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I watched the entire concert on TV and was so impressed by all of the performers and the crowd.  

I was glad to see that they put a link across the bottom of the screen so that I could make a donation; it just felt wrong not to.  I read on the Internet this morning that, so far, they've raised around 13 million pounds for the Red Cross Manchester emergency fund.

I applaud all of the artists who took part on such short notice and all the people who attended, showing the attackers that they will not win.