Trusted Contributor

or some Farmers animals nearby

QVC Customer Care
Honored Contributor

They work under hot lights. I would err on the side of caution throwing out the food. Food poisoning can kill a person....

Honored Contributor

Hasn't this been the case since -- ever?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Well maybe 2 or 3 years ago I asked Mary Beth what they do with all that extra food.

She said then that they must throw it out because the hot lights mess it up (she said it much better but you get the idea).

If you notice they aren't allowed (that's what they've said) to eat that food they handle.

I know David used to eat it and I remember Mary Beth said that when they do sample it they are told which to eat so it isn't dangerous.

But because of COVID I guess they can't eat it.  Think about it...all those cakes and brownies everywhere all over that table and it's opened, etc.

I know they have to show some of it opened.  I understand that.

However, the entire table is spread everywhere with opened brownies, cakes, all kinds of food.

I just wonder if it's necessary to spread out that much food going to waste.

I know I sound like a prude but when I see people lined up in their cars for miles and my daughter and friend talk about these poor people needing food.

It just puts everything in front of me.  Now think about all of the food that's been going on all day long.  Just think of how much waste that is.

It would be different if it wasn't all opened up.  Maybe they should not open it up just have it sitting there, closed up and just cutting into one or two of what they're selling, I'm just saying.

I agree. Previously, I have thought, its just the way it is (which is true), but today it has seemed like an awful lot of it going to waste. I know QVC sells a lot of food, I have bought a lot of food from them and will continue. That doesn't discount the fact that a lot of it is apparently going into the trash.

I hate to waste food, but I don't usually throw much out. If I have meat that we are sick of, I give it to the dogs and the neighbors dog.

Someone I know says they know a woman who only gets to eat meat when her husband kills a raccoon. And she is serious. Now, how would that be? I think I'd have to be a vegan.

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

So they waste $500 worth of food.  Consider how many jobs that $500 supports in sales, which amount to thousands of dollars.  The famer/rancher, transporter, meat processing personnel, staff at QVC, UPS.  You have to spend money to make money.

I bet somebody's dog eats really well.

I have read your replies before as I have added my feelings of the amount of wasted food during this pandemic.
You talk about the CHOSEN that are making the money from QVC , but my comp!aint from the start of hosts not eating any of the food is why do they have  to waste so much of the foods .We would all understand if they showed less being wasted when there are so many not so  LUCKY and  you see it by the food lines throughout th USA.

I believe we would rather see less waste, the sales would go on,the jobs would be there for host and vendors  ,drivers would still be delivering the products.

Think a lot of us viewers would respect the  Q  much more.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 I'm with you - -   common sense.  They don't need 4 miles of

food spread out of any one product.   And......now that  the host and vendor ..

....might infect each other if they stand in the same room - they have to supply both QVC

studio AND the vendor's home with food - so both can cut - chop - slice - tear apart a

steak.  Why destroy  good food at two locations?

And you wonder why prices are so high?

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  Really?  As long as you've been here and as many times as this gets discussed?  

I simply don't understand how people think that is significant when they have to demonstrate a product, it's on display not a buffet, and in the light of what they sell it is insignificant.

And far far far less significant than the percentage most of us toss out uneaten or unused of what we buy. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner Very true!  I have been one who's complained in the past of this waste on Q food shows.  Then a poster brought up the amounts of waste in our own homes and other places as well and I must agree. I work in a school and the amount of food these kids throw away at lunch is unbelievable!  Much of it isn't even touched.

Honored Contributor

Well...I wasn't going to respond @Sooner  and I really try to not specifically call out my posts to individuals.

Please take this in a nice way ( I really mean it in a nice way), but I couldn't help but think your post reminded me of when my girls were little sitting at the dining room table and my late husband would say, "Eat your food girls...there are people in Ethiopia who don't have any food".

Then I'd say, "Hummm...the amount of food they eat (or don't) has nothing to do with the food that people in Ethiopia has.  Girls, eat til you're full and next time only take what you think you can eat.  You can always go back for seconds."

Your post is entirely different from what I posted.  It's all significant food.

There is no reason why they have to spread out all over the table so much food.

What I do eat and don't eat has nothing to do with what QVC is doing wasting food.

Am I making sense?  Probably not...but at least I tried and I hadn't intended to 'splain myself.....ta da but I did.