Honored Contributor

Hmmm...NJ is nineteenth but first in education? Uh, okay. Have they actually talked to any kids who've been in NJ schools? I have and they're not especially well-educated. At least the ones I've been around. I kind of hate to think our kids are the best educated in the country. That's not a good sign for the rest of the country. The fourth in healthcare is also intriguing as most New Jerseyans when faced with a major health issue head to Philly, or Delaware for South Jerseyans, and NYC for those in the north. Did we get a higher rating because we can go there? And we're number five for crime? Really? It's an interesting list, but I wouldn't put too much faith in it. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I've been in all 50 states and most have pros and cons, although there are a few where it's hard to find a "pro", LOL!!.  Used to think of moving to Seattle but too much rain and dampness.  I guess it's what you get used to.  I could not get use to the heat and humidity of the southern states.

Valued Contributor

@gardenman Your instinct about our children's education level is correct. By international testing standards, American children rank 36th in the world!! That is pathetic considering our wealth and the amount of money spent per child on their education. It's an indictment of our educators and parents better start holding them accountable.

Honored Contributor

Re: Washington is #1

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

Hmmm...NJ is nineteenth but first in education? Uh, okay. Have they actually talked to any kids who've been in NJ schools? I have and they're not especially well-educated. At least the ones I've been around. I kind of hate to think our kids are the best educated in the country. That's not a good sign for the rest of the country. The fourth in healthcare is also intriguing as most New Jerseyans when faced with a major health issue head to Philly, or Delaware for South Jerseyans, and NYC for those in the north. Did we get a higher rating because we can go there? And we're number five for crime? Really? It's an interesting list, but I wouldn't put too much faith in it. 

What part of the state are you talking about?

The public high school my daughter went to had a 98% graduation rate and of those 95% were accepted into colleges and universities - before the everyone gets a trophy trend started.....

Esteemed Contributor

Well,  goodie they are no#1 , but I'd rather live elsewhere .

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter,

It is always sad and incredible how much discrepancy there is in the level of teaching in schools within a state or even county or city, based on what side of the tracks they are.

I'm glad your daughter's experience is so good. 

I found the same in the state we lived. Some wonderful schools with awards of excellence when down the road, they had not enough supplies or teachers.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I would love to visit Washington State, it just looks so beautiful! I have always wanted to go, maybe one day!

Honored Contributor

You would have to read the article, it's primarily due to the tech industry

If you are not a tech person, it may not be the place for you

I have a friend living in WA, she lives far away from the silly nonsense that goes on in the bigger cities.   Although she has threatened to move to Idaho

I wouldn't live in WA, I would hate the weather.

@rockygems123 wrote:

@SuhseK wrote:

Once again, Washington State, has been selected, as the #1 State, in the country, by US News and World Report. 

I've lived in Washington, my entire life. I was born in Mt Vernon, lived in Spokane, for most of my life, and recently moved to Vancouver, for a career opportunity. 

It's a great place to live, and great to get the accolades, again! 🌲 

@SuhseK 

#1 for what exactly?

Honored Contributor

Congratulations.  We're number one!  We're number one!  Say it loud and proud.

number one.PNG

Esteemed Contributor

I think this listing better represents the quality and competence of the state's PR teams than the actual factors noted about the states. I respect PR, so congrats to them.