Esteemed Contributor

Re: Washington State Corrections Employees Can No Long Call Convicted Felons ‘Offenders’

@Lila Belle wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
The word is racism @Irshgrl31201.

Have you ever wondered how your child, like my brother, was spoken about behind her back?

I haven't had to wonder, it has been said right to her face. Like I said, we cannot control what ignorant and fearful people do but we can control what we do. She knows what they say, says more about them and their lack of intelligence and has nothing to do with her.

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
The word is racism @Irshgrl31201.

Have you ever wondered how your child, like my brother, was spoken about behind her back?

I haven't had to wonder, it has been said right to her face. Like I said, we cannot control what ignorant and fearful people do but we can control what we do. She knows what they say, says more about them and their lack of intelligence and has nothing to do with her.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Then you should know better.

Good night to you.

I do know better. I know that others even ignorant ones with different opinions are allowed to have those. I know that is what it means living in a free society. My daugther learned long ago that there isn't always a safe place so instead of trying to pretend there was, I taught her how to deal with things when there weren't. She is a strong and confident woman.  

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Washington State Corrections Employees Can No Long Call Convicted Felons ‘Offenders’

I'll stand with my post.
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@software wrote:

I'm an "individual" and I have nothing in common with a felon.

The best rehab for a felon is to own up & be accountable for exactly what they are - convicts, criminals & felons.   Then move forward.

@software

You may have a lot in common with a felon.  Felons often have families and friends.  They have physical bodies that become ill, just like yours.  They have to eat food, breathe air and sleep in order to survive, etc.

The problem with saying "move forward," is that it isn't that simple.  Most felons have difficulty obtaining jobs that pay enough money for them to support themselves, so they resort to old behaviors to get what they need in order to live.

Even the most well-meaning ex-con has the odds stacked against him/her. 

Something has to be done to make it possible for people to exist lawfully after they've had a felony conviction...or else we'll all suffer the consequences (as a society).

Yes absolutely agree, after they serve their time.

Honored Contributor

And so did their victims, too bad they are not alive to use those rights

@Lila Belle wrote:
All people have rights under our great Constitution. Even those convicted of a crime(s) and serving time in prisons or jails.

Respected Contributor

LOL...that is too funny! Why not just call them "clients" and cater to their every desire? Woman LOL

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
I guess not being PC makes it okay to call my oldest brother who is American-French-Vietnamese a ****** is okay to some of you. Got it.

I'm not PC and I wouldnt dream of calling anyone such a degrading. filthy name.

Don't put words into my mouth, plesae.

Trusted Contributor

Oh, geez.  It's almost impossible for me to believe that this world and society can become even more stupid -- but here you go -- the ultimate in stupidity!  Heaven help us.

Respected Contributor

That's because the western part of the state has nothing but a bunch of whiners and people offended by anything and everything. The stuff that goes on around here just blows my mind.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in Washington State, and I had not heard this. Thanks to the person who added the attachment which clarifies the situation and doesn't indicate that the word "offender" can no longer be used....ever. I did a google search, and all I found was the presentation by the media group, Blue Lives Matter, which has its own agenda to be sure. If any news station is commenting on this story, one would hope they go to the source, and not a media blog for the whole story. Euphemisms date back as far as ancient Greece where they believed that certain words carried a kind of power with them. In fact the word Eu phemi, or a close proximity of that word, was a warning to Greeks not to say a certain word to which they attributed power or something bad would befall them.  Many words in our language have denotation and connotation. They always have. And most of the time the replacement word was used to be less harsh and not elicit a strong emotion. When I took my first psychology class in college, I was shocked to discover that there were three categories of developmentally disabled persons denoted in the books: idiot, imbecile, and moron. Those have evolved fortunately to other descriptively more palatable terms. I don't see that finding a more acceptable term is the downfall of civilization. Insensitivity and impolite behavior is. There are many more disturbing things in this society besides substituting terminology. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.