Respected Contributor

Washing my hands so often, much longer than 20 seconds, using so much soap and hand sanitizer, and with very warm water has caused me to have a small red patch on the back of one of my hands. (I do wear gloves when I can.) It itches and burns like eczema, which I've never had before. I've tried all kinds of lotions that help little if at all, and I tried Vaseline which made it burn. I'm now using a mild soap, turning the temp down to plain warm, and found relief in argan oil.

Respected Contributor

Re: Washing My Hands So Much

I had that exact problem when I first started washing my hands. I am pretty sure it was the hot water, not the soap. Make the water lukewarm and try to use hand cream as often as possible. Mine cleared up in a day or two. I also started using a softer towel to dry my hands. I now pat them dry.

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

Washing my hands so often, much longer than 20 seconds, using so much soap and hand sanitizer, and with very warm water has caused me to have a small red patch on the back of one of my hands. (I do wear gloves when I can.) It itches and burns like eczema, which I've never had before. I've tried all kinds of lotions that help little if at all, and I tried Vaseline which made it burn. I'm now using a mild soap, turning the temp down to plain warm, and found relief in argan oil.

@Desert Lily 

Are you out in public and handling things others touch that often? There is no need to wash one’s hands more than usual when you are staying home and handling your own possessions; they are safe to touch.

Use hand sanitizer only when you are away from home and there is no soap and water to use. 

There is no need to use extremely hot water. Warm is better. I’m glad you found something that relieves your hands.

Honored Contributor

I am not washing my hands that much more than before I always washed my hands when I came home from being some where, before starting a meal, etc.

...I only use the disinfecting soap when I get home from running an errand, grocery store, touching something out of the house.  If I have not been anywhere, no need to over wash your hands.  

I keep hand sanitizer in my purse, always have.  My hands/cuticles have always been really dry...so I am not going to over do it...+it's not healthy to use to much sanitizer.

Esteemed Contributor

I put Aveeno lotion by all my sinks. After I wash I use it. I have no issues. I knew all this washing would be damaging to skin. I wonder if your allergic to any of the products your using? 

Honored Contributor

I have been washing my hands a ton and am really going through the liquid soap quickly.   My hands are dry, but the Glysomed hand lotion and L'Occitane Intensive Hand Balm I use are doing a good job with the dryness. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@godi  @willdob3 I'm washing my hands when I get the mail, get a box from amazon, when I get groceries delivered, when I take the dogs out/feeding, etc. I did change to a different dishwashing liquid soap a couple weeks ago because my usual one was unavailable, but I had been using the same handsoap. I've been doing more dishes by hand since I've been home - I wonder if that could be causing the irritation (or perhaps allergy that I hadn't thought of) along with my overdoing the washing. Thank you for your thoughtful input.

Honored Contributor

The only time I use hand sanitizer in the house is to clean my iPhone or iPad screens.  That takes so little I've been using the same small bottle for well over a year and still have a few months worth left.

I do use sanitizer and wipes when I'm out and touching things like doorknobs, car door handles, store carts, etc.

Otherwise just soap -  usually gentle, but antibacterial when I return from the store before I store my groceries.  Lots of lotion also for my old, dry hands.

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

@godi  @willdob3 I'm washing my hands when I get the mail, get a box from amazon, when I get groceries delivered, when I take the dogs out/feeding, etc. I did change to a different dishwashing liquid soap a couple weeks ago because my usual one was unavailable, but I had been using the same handsoap. I've been doing more dishes by hand since I've been home - I wonder if that could be causing the irritation (or perhaps allergy that I hadn't thought of) along with my overdoing the washing. Thank you for your thoughtful input.

@Desert Lily   If your hands just got this bad in the past couple weeks, it might just be that new dishwashing soap. It is often hard to pinpoint a cause. 

Respected Contributor

Glad I succumbed to temptation of B&B soap sales last winter!  Surprised how they don't seem drying.