Respected Contributor

Re: Wash your clothes and jacket after each time venturing out?

Not 100% sure but i think if you leave your jacket or coat and clothing hung out in the sun, UV rays will zap any germs.  Not everyone can do this though, if you live in the city . i did that in my college dorm in the city and the jacket ended smelling like exhaust fumes.

i do remove my pants after shopping Wally World because the store is too big and they have bare concrete floors so i use their scooter carts.  always remove my shoes at the door but the hubs refuses. he thinks i'm nuts. we had a big argument about this yesterday.

Was reading about the H1N1 and there was no mass hysteria. The virus was detected April 15 2009 and by April 28 the CDC developed a test ready to be implemented.  The test kits shipped May 1

Honored Contributor

If you live in an area where the virus is more common and if you are out in a crowded place, yes, I'd wear something washable and wash it if you can.

It's a matter of why not?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would just toss my clothing into my laundry pile to be done as soon as possible.

But would immediately take a shower and wash my hair, as germs can linger there more easily.

I've been adding something that disinfects / sanitizes to my laundry.

You can use a specific laundry sanitizer, or even just tea tree oil - it has anitiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. 

e.t.a.:  I'm medically vulnerable so I take extra precautions - but not to the nth degree.

Valued Contributor

I won't be washing my clothes like that.  But after returning from a store or wherever I have been taking time to wash my front door handles/locks, a few light switches I use a lot, my car steering wheel and other car parts I normally touch while driving, my cell phone and cover and anything else that comes to mind.  I have been using a microfiber cloth with a little bit of dawn dishwashing detergent to wash these parts down regularly.

Esteemed Contributor

In the past week we have gone shopping four times (@$800 total) no hoarding and the only thing we had to go to a second store for was T.P.  We do most of our cooking at home if we aren't travelling so much of what we got was food.  Last week we were in L.V. for 7 days and we are at a different restaurant everyday (including Wynn buffet).  We were very conscious of our surroundings, used sanitizer etc, but I wouldn't be doing all that eating out this week (especially not in L.V.).  I am 76, technically well within high risk group, but I am very healthy for my age, no compromised anything.  If I was sure I wouldn't immediately be quarantined. (or denied entry) I wouldn't hesitate to travel now.  I feel empathy for all first responders, hourly wage workers, and any others who are negatively impacted.

Respected Contributor

I keep a bottle of Clorex Fabric Sanitizer in the garage and we spray of shoes and soles before coming into the house.

We also thoroughly wipe our shoes on an outside mat before coming in.  I spay the mat as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

One of the hundreds of "experts" said you should take off everything you wore out (say shopping)  immediately once home....and wash them.  That is for  each time you leave the house and come home. 

This seems like a bit much to ask people to do that are already struggling with anti virus protocol changes in their life. 

And, not everyone has the ability to wash every garment  everyday if you leave the house....especially if you have say a family of 5....   Add to that, many people do not have washers and dryers in their home place.... and a laundry mat is not a good gathering place to to go to for  virus  control.

I will not be doing this myself. 

Will you?

If necessary, people use the bathtub and hang things to dry.

- - -

O/T but how is sleek-and-shiny cutie Buddy doing?

Trusted Contributor

i have to go to a lundrymat to do my clothes... im a little freaked out about it... but nothing i could do... i have laundry to do

Honored Contributor

Are people instructed to take their clothes off OUTSIDE, before entering the house?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

when you work in a store you sometimes see the same people every day who never look like they wash their clothes  but then a lot of people don't have washers or can't afford the expense of a laundromat

and then a lot of the jackets, vests, and aprons places give their employees aren't washed everyday

I don't change my clothes when I come home from shopping but it might be a good idea  so I can see where that expert is coming from