Honored Contributor

Re: Was "chatting" with an Instacart shopper today

I hate the select size.  Look!  When you wash your hands with antiseptic soap they are supposed to be clean...right?

So I drape the large paper towels over the sink and they dry out for the next  time I wash my hands.

I think those little size paper towels are a joke.  I guess I have man-size hands because they do not dry with those tiny things.  

They never break off the right way.

I search for the large size paper towels.  I've found them at CVS pharmacy and some Walmarts.

Honored Contributor

'All in all', paper towels are sure handy, compared with cotton and other towels. 

Storing wet towels, washing them, drying them........a waste of energy, imo.

Paper is easier.

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird 

I DO like the Select A Size......I want just a smaller paper towel for certain things.....  It even takes the place of a plate for things like a breakfast biscuit..And for cooking/warming food in the microwave I dont need a huge paper towel....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

And I had requested Wegman's regular paper towels. It wasn't there and she replaced it with Wegmans' select a size paper towels.  I told her to refund me.  I hate select a size.  She said she hated it and her mother (who works at Wegmans) hates it too!   She's about the 4th or 5th person I've known who hates the select a size.  Bounty was the brand that started it.  Now that's all you see.  Getting harder and harder to find regular (and in print too!)  My husband hates it and insists that I search for the regular towels. So search Amazon etc for them.  Anyone prefer the select a size?  

@songbird 

I won't buy it unless it's Select-a-Size!  I seldom need a full paper towel, so there's less waste.  When I do need a full sheet, I find that the two pieces stay together and get the job done.  I like the flexibility of being able to choose - and to save money by often using just half a sheet.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Always buy select a size. That's usually enough for me. If I need bigger I use two.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

Oh goodie, say the neighbors. Now, people are flushing paper towels down the toilet. [*sigh*]

Beyond that, I agree with the OP. I've not yet jumped on the "select-a-size" bandwagon, and don't intend to. Luckily for me, I've been able to find Bounty and Great Value's premium toweling in full sheets.

But P.T. Barnum was right again. Other than the ones complaining on almost every media platform that they're "selecting" 2 so-called sheets, and getting three (something about wayward perforations 😉), people aren't "selecting" much of anything; they're just grabbing and hoping--usually, ending up with more, especially in homes full of kids--while manufacturers see dollar signs. What's hard to believe is that some people think that manufacturers want the buying public to use fewer, or smaller, sheets. 

Select-a-Size is the biggest ripoff since "concentrated" bleach.

@Moonlady 

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.  I have never, ever had an issue tearing off the half sheet or whole sheet from the roll.  But I use Bounty; maybe some other brands are not perforated as well.

So open minded of you to insinuate that the the rest of us who do like select-a-size are "suckers" by referencing that P.T. Barnum quote.  Have a nice evening. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Valued Contributor

Surprisingly (at least to myself anyway) I feel strongly about this. 

I absolutely detest select a size. I need a full sheet, go to tear it off and oh no just the first little section comes. End up wasting a heck of a lot more than if just one full sheet came off. 

I view select a size in the same way I view what they did to bar soaps years ago......that whole hogwash about making the bar shaped easier to fit your hand. It's just a rip off to give you less soap for the same (or higher) price. 

Ditto on the select a size. They are counting on people like me that rip in a hurry and end up using more in the long run. That equals more $ in their profits. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aroc3435 wrote:

@songbird   I'm in the select-a-size camp and have no trouble pulling the original former full size when it is neeeded.  Just pull gently.

aroc3435 

Same for me.  I always buy select-a-size if I can.  It's much less wasteful, far better for the environment, and most of the time a full sheet just isn't necessary.   I usually can find full size, but I only buy that if select-a-size is not available.

If I do need a full size sheet, I just tug and I get one!  I might be missing something, but I thought that was the whole point of select-a-size.  You can choose however much you need.  

Honored Contributor

I require select a size.  Best thing ever created.  I was annoyed that it wasn't available for a few months.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I am on the select a size bandwagon also!