Honored Contributor

Re: Was it REALLY necessary to be THIS rude?

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I have no problem with the way the woman who moved her stuff handled it.  I would have probably done the same thing.

On the other hand, it might have been kinder to acknowledge her distress and say something  like - Oh of course, I was just trying to give you some space.  It's tough to be in a cast - can I help you at all?

@Isobel Archer She wasn't in a cast. She wasn't on crutches. She was walking and talking fine. She just happened to be carrying her purse a pair of snow boots, her coat (it was warm in the office but freezing outside so we all were) and a walking cast/boot that I'm sure she paid good money for (God knows I have and they are NOT cheap) plus her keys. A lot of stuff and I would have moved my stuff to give her room as well. She was cheerful to the checkout people when checked out...that's why it was such a strange encounter looking back on it and therefore, stood out.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree Trust me, it wasn't,  lol. 

Honored Contributor

It was probably a valuable lesson to your son.  He will run into all kinds of people in life and is realizing not everyone will always be nice.  Let's face it.... there are rude people everywhere and sooner or later we all are exposed to them.

It's also an opportunity to teach tolerance.  In this case, it sounds like tolerance was the way to go. If someone were putting their hands on you or making a terrible scene that would be a totally different situation.  It might be a good time to teach him when and how a person should react to anything that goes beyond rudeness(such as someone putting their hands on you, getting in your face, causing a scene, etc).  I think you and the other lady handled it appropriately.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

A walking cast is a cast just made of different material with a different purpose. 

Still not understanding listing this woman's struggles and still not an fleeting thought of helping her with it? 

No excuse for her rude comments but when criticizing others, I think it's very valuable to look inward and see what else could have done to maybe help the situation and her.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14  Look, I hear you. My son there had 2 casts on and was in a wheelchair. He's been that way for 8 weeks. My eldest is disabled. So compassion is the norm in my life.

She put her stuff down. She put on her coat. She put all her boots in her tote. She grabbed her keys. She made the comment to the woman and then walked out with no issue. What, exactly, am I supposed to help her with? Putting on her coat?Handing her her keys? 

Compare this to the blind man who DID need assistance and was helped. OR my son who DID need assistance and was helped. What, again, do you do to help someone who is simply getting their stuff together to go out into the cold weather? You make more ROOM for all their stuff so it isn't falling on the floor and that's exactly what the woman reading did. That's what any of us would do ( I hope).

QVC Customer Care

Closed for commenting.