Trusted Contributor

Re: Was it REALLY necessary to be THIS rude?

If the waiting room was almost empty one wonders why she chose that particular chair to put her stuff on.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Just as words can be misunderstood, so can a persons actions. 

@CrazyDaisy  Me thinks if the woman hadn't move her items, the other woman would have made a rude comment about that as well. By the time you're 40, you should know enough about Life that someone moving their items is because they're giving you space for all your stuff. My CHILD knew this.

You don't know that....you are also making rude comments about a person you know nothing about.  Simply telling your child that she may be having a bad day or recieved bad news should have been enough.  You are not living her life, you have no idea what she may be going through.

@CrazyDaisy  I didn't say anything to my son other than yes, I agreed with him. As for excusing her for rudeness due to her day being bad, please. Not going there. 

As usual for the board, this thread is turning into an insult fest. Why bother.

Apparently you were only looking for coments that agreed with you.  I'm out.

@CrazyDaisy  Actually, no. I find it interesting to read the responces of people when they respond to the telling of events; the true cross-section of society, if you will. I didn't ask for advice, I didn't ask for guidance, I simply reported an event and that was that.

What I do NOT like nor tolerate is when people begin to insult others for what they think or say. You can give an opinion but you do NOT have the right to make it personal. Big difference. Many on this board do not understand that mind-set. Shame.

Respected Contributor

Interesting encounter. 

I saw a video on youtube one time (I wish I could find it again). The camera goes through a hospital,  and pans by several people walking around.  The voice over is what the person is thinking about.  Being a hospital, most of the thoughts are negative - ie, "just found out she has stage 4 cancer", "is in for PT after a car accident", "just said goodbye to his dying wife", etc., but some are postive "just found out he is going to be a father".

Goes to show you don't know what people are going though, especially in a medical facility.  Lots of opportunity for pain, worry, upset, and rude behavior there.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I don't think this is reflective of society at large. Every once in a while you run into someone who is being rude and cruel for seeminly no reason what so ever. The lady in the DR.s office did what was the smart thing. Aswering snark with snark probably would only have escalated the situation. Best to ignore. Like so many have pointed out who knows how much pain that lady was in or if she had been given bad news from her DR or what the heck was going on in her life. Is that an excuse for her comment? NO. But what is wrong with society in my eye is this need for ****** for tat. Sometimes just let things go.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes what is said or done is misunderstood. The woman reading could have added an apology and explanation to her smile. I find if you wish attention, give a bit of it yourself.

Honored Contributor

Interesting time for this topic.

Rudeness.

Here, you can get your rude posts removed.

Back peddle.

Again, a sweetheart.

Respected Contributor

I have no problem with the way the woman who moved her stuff handled it.  I would have probably done the same thing.

On the other hand, it might have been kinder to acknowledge her distress and say something  like - Oh of course, I was just trying to give you some space.  It's tough to be in a cast - can I help you at all?

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I and my 12 year old son witnessed this yesterday at a doctors office. I wasn't aware my son was watching but, as you will see, he was.

Large office with plenty of chairs. End of day appointment so it's my son and I and another  woman. She is sitting near us but not next to us. Her row consists of an end table with a few magazines, her, a chair next to her holding her purse and coat and then an empty chair. My son and I are sitting in chairs up against the wall/windows that line the entire wall. PLENTY of places to sit. Woman is reading a magazine. Large TV on the wall across of her with a Hallmark movie playing.

A woman comes out of the door from the examination area carrying a coat,large bag, a pair of winter boots, large bundle of keys and a large orthopedic walking cast/boot (yes, we were at the orthopedist for my sons' casts removal). She places all that stuff on the chair with difficulty (she's struggling to place it all in the one chair)  next to the chair holding the other women's coat and purse. The woman smiles, and places her coat and purse on the end table next to her and goes back to reading. The other woman grabs her stuff and says to the woman reading:

" That's okay. I already own my stuff. I don't need to take your stuff".

As she stands up with her stuff, the woman reading looks at her, smiles and goes back to her reading. The woman who made that statement looks at her with a ticked off face, pick up her belonging and walks out.

Now, I'm thinking to myself 'did the lady reading actually HEAR what the woman said to her? I doubt it. But in my mind, it was ****** rude. And more importantly, WHY did she choose to say that? As I'm thinking this, my son leans in and says to me "Mom, why was that lady so rude to her? She was only moving her stuff to give her more room. You know, that's why people hate each other today. No one is nice to anyone anymore".

Sad comment about Life, isn't it? Out of the mouth of babes. But I'll tell you, It still makes me wonder. Because if she had said that to me, I would have responded with an "Excuse me?!" and I don't know how it would played out. I can think of other people who would have come back with something just as snarky and well...there it is. 

Once again, the question is asked: What HAS happened to society today? And for those wondering, both women were 40-50ish.

I think this an example of that good ole sayin' "No good dead goes unpunished"....sad but so true sometimes. So fergetaboutit! Your son sounds like a fine young man to notice what was happening instead of playin' with a phone. Another old sayin'...."Out of the mouths of babes"......"

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@chrystaltree  Why does it matter? Because if we accept/allow people to treat each other this way, it becomes the norm. Because my 12 year old son knew it was wrong for someone to be treated rudely when they are courteous. Because rudeness is taking over in our society and not all of us want it to be that way. Last, it says that when you're nice to someone, you'll be treated poorly back so why bother? Something else my son, at 12, has seen played out repeatedly and in his gut, believes is wrong.

Why should it matter indeed....

It doesn't matter because we can't change or control OTHER people.  We only have control over what WE do and how WE react to such things.  The learning experience here for your son was how that other woman reacted to what really was just a minor thing.  Hopefully, at 12 he observed that rather than letting a bit of rudeness get under her skin, the woman did not respond in kind.  Rude people exist, that's a fact and there nothing anyone can do about that.  You should consider yourself fortunate if that's the worst example of bad behavor you've ever seen...LOL

Honored Contributor

Just another example of how rude people seem to have become. I don't think the internet has helped either. Just read some of the rude responses on some of the threads here. People seem to think just because there aren't any repercussions for bad behavior that they can say and do anything.... Sigh.