Esteemed Contributor

Re: Was So UPSET With My City.

Thank you for all the reply's and listening to me.

I am planning on having a peaceful Sunday, to live another day.

My dog and I are going for a 2mile walk and then I will ride my indoor bike for 5 miles.

Just made a big pot of Split Pea soup which after I share a couple of bowls with my neighbor, I am set for a few days of cooking.

Thank you all again.

Respected Contributor

@qvcaddition   When I had a monitored alarm system many years ago, they would call and if they did not reach someone who could tell them the "secret" word, they would call the police department. 

I would ask your alarm company what their policy is before calling the police.  If they had called you immediately, and you answered and they were able to confirm that you answered, they may not have called the police.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@qvcaddition   I hope you can iron this out or at least better understand the city policy. Perhaps, though, being grateful that there wasn't a serious issue and also that it's only $30 and not more is a better/healthier way to look at this.

Honored Contributor

I would have to argue that the alarm went off because the door had been opened. No one can know for sure that it wasn't actually someone trying to get in, but left after the alarm went off. Just because they didn't find someone breaking in doesn't mean they weren't there. I mean, if the door was open after you even tied it....they can't really prove someone didn't do it.

I know they have to do something to make up for running like crazy over false alarms, but if I had such a system, and it seemed like it was going to forever be a problem and causing me false alarm charges, I'd figure it wasn't worth it, and shut it off. 

We tend to use other forms of alarm and protection in my neck of the woods. 

Honored Contributor

I just had a alarm system installed . Only thing I was told up front was after 3 false alarms you will be billed 100 for the next false alarm.

I don't have ADT. Sensors on all doors and windows. Deadbolt on my bedroom door.  I keep the monitor on 'armed stay' at night.

somebody tries the window or doors it will emit a ear piercing sound that Lazarus can hear, if it's something I did I got 2 minutes to punch in code and prevent it from calling the security outfit who has their own monitoring crew. They will call me, ask for the code word, if I don't answer they call the county police to come out.

I will check Monday to see if I need a permit.  Unbelievable, that you have to pay for a system to protect yourself then you have to pay for a permit to have the system to protect yourself.

beamscott-300x227-1.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

I just had a alarm system installed . Only thing I was told up front was after 3 false alarms you will be billed 100 for the next false alarm.

I don't have ADT. Sensors on all doors and windows. Deadbolt on my bedroom door.  I keep the monitor on 'armed stay' at night.

somebody tries the window or doors it will emit a ear piercing sound that Lazarus can hear, if it's something I did I got 2 minutes to punch in code and prevent it from calling the security outfit who has their own monitoring crew. They will call me, ask for the code word, if I don't answer they call the county police to come out.

I will check Monday to see if I need a permit.  Unbelievable, that you have to pay for a system to protect yourself then you have to pay for a permit to have the system to protect yourself.

beamscott-300x227-1.jpg

@SharkE, I read about your alarm system, but was not able to respond. We have Vivint and they are the best so far.

We never needed a permit or anything like that. I know that after 4 calls there will be a charge, that's why you should always have your cell phone with you. These things are so sentitive. You drop a knife on your granite countertop and it says "glass break, glass break" and then a voice comes on and ask if everything is ok and then you have to give the code. My three year old nephew loves to imitate this.

Hope you feel safe, but the alarm companies should let the customers know that after a certain amount of alarms and no answer and the Police have to come, that there will be a charge.

Respected Contributor

@qvcaddition If you're upset with your city, remember that upset the next time you vote.  Sounding off here ain't worth a dime.

Esteemed Contributor

You have an alarm on a door that does not lock?  If the wind can blow it open i think that would be my concern.  It will only continue to happen.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

beamscott-300x227-1.jpg

@SharkE, I read about your alarm system, but was not able to respond. We have Vivint and they are the best so far.

We never needed a permit or anything like that. I know that after 4 calls there will be a charge, that's why you should always have your cell phone with you. These things are so sentitive. You drop a knife on your granite countertop and it says "glass break, glass break" and then a voice comes on and ask if everything is ok and then you have to give the code. My three year old nephew loves to imitate this.

Hope you feel safe, but the alarm companies should let the customers know that after a certain amount of alarms and no answer and the Police have to come, that there will be a charge.

I don't think I will either I don't live in a big city. Bigger the city bigger the bs. I'll check for peace of mind, though.

Trusted Contributor

Sorry but with the cutbacks on services going on today I would pay the fee happily. I just read where 24,000 cops & firefighters in NYC have been placed on leave due to vaccine mandates and I know you said you're in northern CA but it's happening all over.

With the low morale and other problems happening to city workers and other first responders, sorry but I would not take it upon myself to make this an issue.

I would pay the fee and thank my lucky stars there was still someone around to respond.

JMO.  (And I certainly would NOT go to the mayor's home with this grievance.)