Honored Contributor

Re: Was So UPSET With My City.

I checked and in my part of the state there is no fee associated with getting a security alarm system.   Just don't go over 3 false alarms or then it's 100 a pop.

Small town.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner 

@Sooner wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

@CrazyDaisy 

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

You have an alarm on a door that does not lock?  If the wind can blow it open i think that would be my concern.  It will only continue to happen.

The crazy part is the door was locked and I tried the knob before I went into the house and there was no wind blowing in that covered area. 

None of it makes sense, because from the time I put alarm on and three hours later is sounded.  Can't figure it out, but ADt called the police, not me, I was sleeping when it went off.

My house has every window, door, glass breaker and motion sensors.

I stil think someone tried to get in, maybe using a pick on the lock and when the alarm went off, they fled. Who knows.

My house is like Fort Knox.

@qvcaddition If someone tried to get in, why is it a false alarm?  I am confused.  The door was OPEN?  Someone had tried to get in?  If someone was breaking in how is that a false alarm?  

They reversed it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our city has a huge problem with false alarms at both homes and businesses. About 2 years ago, they implemented this same thing.  We received a letter that we have to register the fact that we have an alarm.  There has always been a charge if it's a false alarm. 

I was livid for many reasons, the least of which was the registration fee.  I ignored the letter to register however, my alarm company received the same letter and without saying anything to us, they sent the local police our information and the $50.00 registration fee was added to our alarm bill.  Had I chosen not to pay that fee, the alarm company would have been stuck paying it. 

I've not had an issue at home but I accidently set the alarm off at my place of employment and they had to pay.    

With my alarm at home, if it is accidently set off, I have a certain amount of time to shut it off and that is it.  If I don't shut it off in that amount of time, the alarm company calls me.  If I answer and give them my code, everything is fine.  If I don't answer and they dispatch police, I am charged. 

Trusted Contributor

I was curious, if someone didn't have an alarm system but had one of those necklace alerts, what would happen if someone living alone activated that? 

Honored Contributor

I would assume whoever you had signed up with would call you and see what the problem was then call an ambulance or cops.

Honored Contributor

I would go on their website and read up on it

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I would assume whoever you had signed up with would call you and see what the problem was then call an ambulance or cops.

@SharkE That's the way it worked for my mom.  And if there is no response they are likely to break in to see about 'ya!  Thank goodness!  

Honored Contributor

I'm loving my whole house security set up. only gripe is the screen showing these stupid pastoral themes is too bright. some point in the night it goes totally black , but, pops back  up on at 5:30 waking me up. 

think that dial on the side might be the dimming control I'm afraid to touch it don't want to set off nothing. LOL   I put a wash cloth over it LOL

Respected Contributor

Where I live, our police are so limited in what they can do and it can take forever to get a response.  I'd be happy to know someone actually came!  And 3 of them!!

Honored Contributor

Well, I ended up having a bizarre experience about this city-alarm thing.

I received a bill in the mail yesterday for $36.  It said $26 late charge and $10 for the regular annual fee.

That was confusing, as it had always been $25 for the annual fee.

I called and found out two things - 1)  Apparently they sent some bill that I never got; and 2)  Our annual fee is actually only $10 now as an old-person discount, instead of the $25 that we always paid before.

Fortunately, they did remove the $26 late fee and I only owed the $10.  Then I played heck trying to pay the damnable thing online.  Called again to try and get the info that I didn't have that was part of letting me into the account.  Was on hold for a long time when, finally, the recording just said 'leave a msg and we'll call you back'.  (kind of angry at all the time I spent on hold for nothing)  Smiley Sad

Meanwhile, I continued to try and figure it out myself, as that's the way I roll, and I finally did and was able to pay.  Whew!   Geez, I hate when something seemingly simple gets all kinds of complicated.