Trusted Contributor

Re: Warren Buffett just dropped Walmart and signaled the death of retail as we know it

I rarely shop at Walmart because I don't like going in there, filling my cart and have only two registers open. Plus, both of the ones close to where I live are dangerously unsafe. However, I would shop there more often if those two problems could be resolved.

Do I think Walmart doesn't fill a need? It absolutely does for countless families on a budget. I hope it doesn't fail.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Warren Buffett just dropped Walmart and signaled the death of retail as we know it

He's making a ton of money on the recent bull market.  That's all.

Retail is of course changing.  Retail is about adaptability.  Even airlines can be considered "retail".

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I hope he is wrong. Think of the people ,whose lives are dependant on Walmart to earn their living

I think that Buffet is reckless to make this type of announcement. It's like he is manipulating the market

I agree,  George Soros does this all the time to create havoc and disrupt the market.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I think the immediate future of  Walmart is still strong as far as the physical store  at this time...   BUT,  the future of retail is going online and by passing  going to a physical store to purchase goods.  I foresee the future of say grocery shopping to be on line 100%  down the road.   Not tomorrow or next year... but it is coming.   Just like banking and other retail shopping. You can resist all you want, but, it is going to happen.

It will change our economy in a huge way.  Maybe not all good for everyone as far as those in lower income brackets, but, that is always the way with change.  Change in the economy is to make more money and it does not take into account PEOPLE.  It only takes into account those with money and how to make more money.

Grocery shopping 100% online? Right. Look I shop a ton online, and I do buy a small amount of prepackaged food online but only because they aren't available locally. But I do not see grocery shopping going 100% online. Let us not forget, CSA, farmers markets and the fact that people that care about their food like to pick their own fresh produce. I don't buy many canned or frozen items. Most of the things I buy are fresh food that would require cold shipping. I don't see it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Walmart is a Walton family company and the family is incredibly rich.

Why can't they pick up the slack? 

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

This worries the inner me that has antennae that sense what might be coming our way.  To me, Warren Buffett is an astute businessman, and this move makes me worry that Walmart will not survive the online assault of Amazon, even if it (Walmart) begins delivering goods to one's door.

I hope I am wrong because my theory is -- and always will remain -- that adverse outcomes for any business or sector of our economy will ultimately affect the everyday man and woman.  That means somehow, in  some way, I'll be dinged financially sometime in the future.   

That would be a shame. Recently I ordered a router at a much better price than Amazon offered for the same product. It was at my door in less than 48 hours with no charge for shipping. Perfect!

The other day my daughter asked me to purchase a lipstick for her. I ordered it online, had it shipped (no fee) to the store I drive by frequently. I'll pick it up one day when I'm driving by and as a plus I'll pick up some grocery staples for a much better price than I get at other grocery stores. Couldn't do that with Amazon. 

Not a slam at Amazon though, I shop there too and never had a problem. Competition keeps one company from taking advantage of it's customers. It just seems to better when we have a choice.

Honored Contributor

Investors know the big profits come from growing companies. Wal-Mart's pretty much expanded everywhere these days, so they're a less valuable investment. There's not a lot of growing room for them. Airline stocks are likely a good investment as the tax cuts will let more people vacation. Lower fuel costs increase airline profits. There's been lots of merging in the airline market over the last twenty years so it's easier to pick a stock to invest in. Instead of sorting out one of fifty carriers to choose from twenty years ago there may be ten big carriers now.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I don't just love wal mart. However, where I live, it does fill a void, as we don't have a Target and our K Mart is lacking to say the least. So, that leaves me with wal mart and Kroger and I do shop both places.

We have a wal mart neighborhood market, and I do shop there quite a bit.

Honored Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
That is pretty big move. The article doesn't say which stock he purchased. I can't see airline travel increasing with the way the world is today. I wonder if it is in stock for defense contractors to build airplanes for our military?

@NativeJax

With all the terrorists attacks happening particularly in countries/cities that were popular vacation spots in Europe I see people sticking closer to home .....and while cheap fuel can help commercial airline profits....what about the costs they are having to pay for added security that's required today....??????

Looks like they are investing in commercial airlines...

also reported a $9.3 billion airline stake, with investments topping $2.1 billion in each of American Airlines Group, Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines and United Continental Holdings.

And Mr. Buffet also invested hugely in Apple too....and Sirius satellite radio....I thought radio was dying....

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/14/warren-buffetts-berkshire-takes-huge-bite-of-apple-shares-ups-stakes-...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

i just watched with dh the documentary on hbo.  we were both so impressed with him.  he's humble and a very simple man.  i highly recommend watching.

if this is what he's decided then i am all for it.  he knows what he's talking about and i completely trust his judgement.

the walmart family are despicable the way they treat people.  ,check the facts on this one.