Honored Contributor

Warren Buffett just dropped Walmart and signaled the death of retail as we know it

Warren Buffett just dropped Walmart and signaled the death of retail as we know it

just sold off $900 million of Walmart stock, choosing to invest billions in airline stocks instead. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/warren-buffett-just-dropped-walmart-and-signaled-the-death-...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Warren Buffett just dropped Walmart and signaled the death of retail as we know it

He seems a little volatile for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Warren Buffett just dropped Walmart and signaled the death of retail as we know it

Mr. Buffett doesn't know females (all females). 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I think Walmart will always have a sector of the retail consumer that is loyal to their brand, but it may become smaller as other options become available.  I see many who post here that like to shop at Walmart.

Trusted Contributor

That is pretty big move. The article doesn't say which stock he purchased. I can't see airline travel increasing with the way the world is today. I wonder if it is in stock for defense contractors to build airplanes for our military?
Honored Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
That is pretty big move. The article doesn't say which stock he purchased. I can't see airline travel increasing with the way the world is today. I wonder if it is in stock for defense contractors to build airplanes for our military?

If this is the case, the man is making a smart financial move imo.

QVC Social Team

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the immediate future of  Walmart is still strong as far as the physical store  at this time...   BUT,  the future of retail is going online and by passing  going to a physical store to purchase goods.  I foresee the future of say grocery shopping to be on line 100%  down the road.   Not tomorrow or next year... but it is coming.   Just like banking and other retail shopping. You can resist all you want, but, it is going to happen.

It will change our economy in a huge way.  Maybe not all good for everyone as far as those in lower income brackets, but, that is always the way with change.  Change in the economy is to make more money and it does not take into account PEOPLE.  It only takes into account those with money and how to make more money.

QVC Social Team

Respected Contributor

Not sure what Walmart has to do with Walmart. #3 response.  I try to avoid Walmart for many reasons.