Honored Contributor

Warranty and Protection Plan

HSN is offering a Samsung tv with a two year warranty and the availability to purchase a protection plan too. Do warranties and protection plans covering different issues with the product or does a protection plan kick in after the warranty expires? There are some who feel protection plans are a waste of money and I tend to agree. Although I usually buy the protection plan on pricey electronics I haven't used them much. I won't take a contract out on something that was $250 or less. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Warranty and Protection Plan

@Jordan2 

I have owned, and still own 3 Samsung TV sets. They all came with a 1 year warranty. My first 4k I bought in 2013, and I sold it a few months ago, mainly to upgrade all the features that were not available back then.

If I added up all the electronics, like TV sets and audio devices over the years? That would probably come well into a mid 6 figure number, or even more.

How many of them did I purchase a Protection plan, or additional warranty? That number is ZERO!  One of my present audio Receivers I bought in the late 1970's, and it still works just fine.

My new Samsung TV, which is a Q-80B, I bought from Amazon and it came with a 1 year warranty. The TV set on HSN is a Q-60B, which is different in several different ways. They run about $200-$300 cheaper than mine.

I am not concerned about its quality, and to me, paying more for additional protection, would be like throwing my money into the wind.

The only Add On Warranties I have ever purchased? Were on my brand new cars. They came with only 1 year warranties back in those years. I purchased a 3 year, in addition, which gave a total of 4 years.

Why? I made sure before buying any policy it was "transferable to the next buyer". I sold all my new cars myself. In addition to keeping them looking like new, and meticulously mechanically maintained! What buyer would not want to buy a Used Car that came with a 2 or 3 year remaining warranty?  I had little trouble selling my new cars, for my asking price! 

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

@Jordan2 we've never purchased an extra warranty or protection plan but I'd be interested to know others experience.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

HSN is offering a Samsung tv with a two year warranty and the availability to purchase a protection plan too. Do warranties and protection plans covering different issues with the product or does a protection plan kick in after the warranty expires? There are some who feel protection plans are a waste of money and I tend to agree. Although I usually buy the protection plan on pricey electronics I haven't used them much. I won't take a contract out on something that was $250 or less. 

@Jordan2You should read the fine print or ask the company that's selling it what the difference is.  That's what I would do.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life