Esteemed Contributor

Warning Tracfone cord caught fire!

[ Edited ]

Earlier tonight my Tracfone cord (LG brand) caught fire. Small flames were shooting near where it plugs in. Thank God i was right at the sink (it was plugged in over near our microwave). I quick pulled the plug (and saved my cellphone and our house!) but the cord burned. It was the cord that came with the phone (phone I have about 2 or 3 years I think).

(I do have another cord now to use to charge it from my other android phone)

I just wanted to warn people I wouldn't let cellphones plugged in unsupervised. I often do let my phone plugged in and go about my business (i have even ran to the store with my phone plugged in before, well no more!). Had I not been standing there our kitchen would have been on fire in no time! And I might add, I thought of this when my grandkids would stay over and would have their cells charging in our spare rooms. I would go and check that were unplugged before bed.

Anyway, one thing, I did not have this plugged into was a surge protector. Everything in our home is plugged in to surge protectors except my phone. So that wasn't smart of me and now it IS plugged into to a surge protector.

PS Last week my computer blew. Its totally dead and I lost all my recent pics and files. I ordered another one that will come the 31st. Now the phone cord burned. I hope that's it with electronics and nothing else happens since things come in 3's!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

Re: Warning Tracfone cord caught fire!

@Shorty2U wrote:

Earlier tonight my Tracfone cord (LG brand) caught fire. Small flames were shooting near where it plugs in. Thank God i was right at the sink (it was plugged in over near our microwave). I quick pulled the plug (and saved my cellphone and our house!) but the cord burned. It was the cord that came with the phone (phone I have about 2 or 3 years I think).

(I do have another cord now to use to charge it from my other android phone)

I just wanted to warn people I wouldn't let cellphones plugged in unsupervised. I often do let my phone plugged in and go about my business (i have even ran to the store with my phone plugged in before, well no more!). Had I not been standing there our kitchen would have been on fire in no time! And I might add, I thought of this when my grandkids would stay over and would have their cells charging in our spare rooms. I would go and check that were unplugged before bed.

Anyway, one thing, I did not have this plugged into was a surge protector. Everything in our home is plugged in to surge protectors except my phone. So that wasn't smart of me and now it IS plugged into to a surge protector.

PS Last week my computer blew. Its totally dead and I lost all my recent pics and files. I ordered another one that will come the 31st. Now the phone cord burned. I hope that's it with electronics and nothing else happens since things come in 3's!

Sounds like you have a wiring problem, not a cell phone cord problem

Honored Contributor

I was just going to say perhaps you should have your wiring checked but @willomenia took the words right out of my mouth.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Shorty2U, please have your wiring checked out by a professional.  It could save your life.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I plug in my computer and my phone every night when I go to bed, so they are fully charged every AM.I have one of those plugs from QVC that has 4 outlets and 2 USB ports  so everything gets plugged in there. Since we have a fairly new house I feel secure that the wiring here is in good shape. We also have whole house surge protector we purchased from Florida power and light when we first moved here. It is out on the breaker box in the garage. Protects the breakers and everything inside. We live in an area that is known for lightening storms.

I agree the OP should probably have her wiring checked by an electrican.

Honored Contributor

I have to agree that it sounds like your wiring should be checked. Our devices are usually charged at night. If I had flames coming out of a socket I would call an electrician immediately.

Honored Contributor

If you had the computer go out too, I would have your electrical checked out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2U,  I'm sorry this occurred.   It must have been frightening.   Thankfully, nothing worse has happened.   Please read all the replies here and have an expert take a look at your home's wiring.   

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the replies. When i said near where it was plugged in I mean the small flames were coming out of the cord as it burned on the counter top, (not the socket) i should have typed that in original post, (sorry). No wiring problem here wiring is newer, as this is a newer built home we live in. DH thinks maybe the cord was torn. I dont know I never pulled on the cord to tear it.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

@Shorty2U, thanks for the clarification.  Unfortunately, electronic device charger/cord fires are not unusual.  Even when the device is not plugged in electric current still flows through the charger.  With little insulation heat is generated, enough heat to cause fire.  That is one reason it is recommended that chargers either be plugged into a power strip that can be turned off or disconnected from the electric socket when not being used.

I don't understand why the charger warnings are not automatically given when warnings about not leaving devices plugged in overnight or devices being left unattended while being charged are given but it seems to only occur when a fire is traced to the cord/charger rather than an overheated battery.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.