Honored Contributor

Warning To Dog Lovers - If Your Dog Enjoys a Dog Park

Something to be smart about when taking our dogs to a dog park or any public place where they may not be appreciated. A friend shared it on Facebook and I'm just passing it along.

Last night my sister's dog, Jake, was at the community dog park. He was playing and running and having a blast. He picked up a Nerf football that was just laying around. He immediately dropped it and shook his head. He got a drink and played a bit longer. Then all of a sudden he wanted to go home. When he got home a few moments later, he laid down and in minutes he was dead. This was a wonderful, healthy 4-yr old Golden Retriever mx. Apparently someone didn't like the dog park and had left the ball full of poison. So NEVER, NEVER, NEVER LET YOUR DOG PICK UP ANYTHING THAT HE DIDN'T BRING WITH HIM! Any toys abandoned should immediately be put in the trash! This was a horrible loss and my sister is devastated! I doubt they will ever know who did this, but don't be the next victim. Spread the word--SAVE A LIFE!

Super Contributor

Re: Warning To Dog Lovers - If Your Dog Enjoys a Dog Park

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Indy-Blonde2. I'm usually pretty conscientious about checking out these "forwards". It figures, the one time I don't it turns out to be a hoax. I wasn't so sure it was true, but in my haste I passed it along anyway. Live and learn.

Super Contributor

While the forward was a hoax, it's still something to think about. I'm very sad to say that I had to stop taking my little girl to the dog park because she got very sick TWICE after going there. It's a risk any time you even walk them in areas other animals go. But the doggie park is an even bigger gamble. Especially where many owners refuse to pick up after their pets (despite many signs and free doggie disposal bags and lots of waste stations).

She just loved going to the dog park, but I can't risk my girls health there any more. The last time, she almost died from multiple parasites. IV's, antibiotics, It's really a shame that a few irresponsible owners will ruin it for the many. Now I take her to a neighbors house to let her romp with their healthy dogs.

Super Contributor

I have also stopped taking my pack to the dog park. Too many irresponsible owners that don't vaccinate their dogs or are not healthy to expose them to others. Also some bully dogs are allowed to run without owner supervision resulting in picking on shy or small dogs. Instead doggie daycare is much better and must have updated shot and heAlth records. They must play well with others.

It's been ten years since I did dog park. Sometimes neighbors or friends dogs come and have play dates. To think that somebody poisons dogs toys intentionally is unconscionable.

Valued Contributor

I don't take my dogs to the dog park. I would go with my daughter and say way too many owners ignoring their dogs while chatting on their phones. Things can happen suddenly, and I don't want my dogs hurt.
Valued Contributor

I took my dog to the dog park several times & each time someone would bring in an aggresive dog & they would try & attack my little one. Scared him & me so bad that I just wont go back again. Also there was poop everywhere & no one picked up after their dog but me! One ladies dog pooped right where we were playing ball & I could see she was going to leave it so I reached in my pocket & got a poop bag out & handed it to her! She didnt like it but I didnt care! We just dont go anymore. I have been taking him to our local farmers market on Sat. mornings. All the dogs that get to come have to be vaccinated, on a leash & well mannered. It has been a very positive influence on my little man. He meets nice dogs & nice people! There is a place you can take your dog to do his business & it never has poop laying around. I think we are going to miss our Sat. mornings when winter comes!