Super Contributor

Warning - Parvovirus Outbreak in Several States

There was a news report this morning concerning an alarming increase in parvo cases in Harford County, Maryland. Many dogs and whole litters have been lost.

When I googled Parvo outbreaks, I found many frightening reports of unexplained outbreaks in many states all across the country sinced spring of this year. Few states appear to be safe from potential outbreaks. This is the first I've heard of this, so thought I would post it here in case other pet owners are also unaware of the dangers.

Parvo is easily spread from dog to dog through contaminated dog feces. Dog parks, walking areas and even your own yard if an infected dog happens to randomly use it are dangerous. Anywhere dogs have access is suspect. Even humans walking through an infected area can transport the virus on their shoes, bring it into the house and transmit it to your pets. Scary stuff.

Symptoms are lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting and bloody diarrhea. Once a dog has parvo, the disease accelerates rapidly and there is little that can be done. Attempts to save their life will be very, very costly and most likely will not work.

There are varying opinions on parvo shots and over-vaccination, etc. and every pet owner has to make their own decision on whether to vaccinate. There are reports that shots are not effective against the 2c strain of Parvo or that the shot will actually give the dog Parvo or cause other bad effects. In any event, there is an incubation period after the shot and the shot will not help if the dog already has the virus.

The best course seems to be to severely limit the outside areas where you allow your dogs and do not allow them to interact with other dogs. Keeping them indoors is the best option, but obviously not very realistic in most cases.

Please be aware and be careful. To lose a beloved pet is heartbreaking. If your dog exhibits any symptoms of this horrible disease, do not delay. Take them to the vet immediately. Time is not on your side.