Respected Contributor

Want to guess the lead time for auto body repair?

A driver of a big huge truck tore off my front bumper as I was parked at the post office yesterday.  Luckily there were witnesses and stayed with my vehicle until he emerged from the PO and we swapped information.

On the way home stopped at a reputable auto collision repair center, the earliest it can be fixed is January!

The insurance claims adjuster said this is normal for these times, lack of parts was cited.  I would assume available labor would figure into this too.

The collision guy said frequency of car damage is exponentially higher post pandemic, looks like people are having difficulty driving.

Be careful out there!

Luckily my car is drivable as the collision center put the bumper back on, hopefully it'll stay on there till January.  As it wasn't my fault the other driver's insurance will pay for a rental car no matter how long the wait.  Have heard though that rental cars are in short supply.

Always something these days to surprise us.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Want to guess the lead time for auto body repair?

Must be your area.   We hit a deer a few weeks ago, and they gave us a date of 10/24.  However we had a scheduling conflict, so we take it in 10/31.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

I broke out the back window and did some minor body damage to my old Saturn SUV in May.  It took awhile to find the parts to repair it.  They finally found what they needed at a junk yard in Phoenix and fixed it immediately, about one month total.  It was a national franchise called Car Crafters.  They did a beautiful job and were so nice.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@rockygems123  Good luck. Let's hope that when you finally get it in the shop in January, that you get it back in less than six weeks. 

All the body shops here have oceans of cars in their lots waiting for repairs. Seems a lot of people ARE having difficulty driving these days. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I broke out the back window and did some minor body damage to my old Saturn SUV in May.  It took awhile to find the parts to repair it.  They finally found what they needed at a junk yard in Phoenix and fixed it immediately, about one month total.  It was a national franchise called Car Crafters.  They did a beautiful job and were so nice.

@Kachina624 

That is great it was a relatively short time.  Was that time frame for the body work and the window was replaced sooner?  That'd be tough to drive without a back window.  Especially starting now.  We're getting rain/snow mix on Sunday.  You probably getting it soon too?

Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@rockygems123  Good luck. Let's hope that when you finally get it in the shop in January, that you get it back in less than six weeks. 

All the body shops here have oceans of cars in their lots waiting for repairs. Seems a lot of people ARE having difficulty driving these days. 

@BlueFinch 

Thank you.  A friend just called from Sacramento CA and he said his repair took 2 months.  Speedy lol.

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick 

That's very quick!  Maybe it depends on the type of damage but yours sounds more extensive than a torn off front bumper like mine?

Honored Contributor

My brother hit a deer and did extensive damage to his leased vehicle.  He was expecting a long wait but repairs have taken only two-three weeks.  I guess he was lucky.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 How in the world did you break out your rear car window?  My curiosity is piqued. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rockygems123    The body shop had some clear heavy plastic with adhesive they put over the window.  We were in a drought and it didn't rain until the morning I reported in for the repair.  They immediately put it inside.  This was in May and June.

Santa Fe just about 50 miles up the interstate may have some snow next week.  We'll have rain and wind.  

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment