Honored Contributor

@Ceci: I have the opposite problem now. However, in my early 20’s dropped to 90 pounds not trying. I ate healthy meals and didn’t eat junk food. Doctor suggested oatmeal for breakfast and ate more fruit for snacks. Nite time snack he suggested a small milkshake 3 times a week and put on a doctor prescribed multivitamin. Gained weight and stayed 115 pounds until mid 30’s. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

Learn about Calorie Density.

Learn about gaining weight in a smart manner.

Oils & additives are unhealthy regardless how they are used.

Calorie Density:

Processed flour products

ex: Make/purchase a loaf of whole wheat bread (without oil),

pretzels, cereals

Nuts, seeds, nut butters.

Higher in fat, so a small amount will easily add 500~ calories.

Smoothies

ex: Spinach, lots of fruit, 1/2 avocado...snack or sip all day.

Dried fruits:

ex: Handful of raisins, dates

”Forgetting to eat” (mentioned upthread) is probably the thing

one needs to tackle first.  Eating higher calorie dense foods will

make that ‘job’ easier with smaller packages explained above. 

Honored Contributor

Ice cream sundae with real whipped cream, bananas, nuts & hot fudge several times a week and you'll put on weight in no time!...okay just kidding but it will add the pounds.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Ice cream sundae with real whipped cream, bananas, nuts & hot fudge several times a week and you'll put on weight in no time!...okay just kidding but it will add the pounds.

I do not think this type of sundae is a healthy way to gain weight.  Too much sugar...bad fats.  Try  Dried  fruit...whole yogurt....raw nuts would be a better "sundae " and add  lots extra calories  in a healthier way.

Super Contributor

@Ceci try eating more, if you can. Or try certain protein powders.

I'm fairly slender and when I lose weight, my belly, hips and thighs are the first to go. Even if it's just 5 pounds, it's extremely noticeable since my hips disappear. 

This sounds hard to believe, but do leg and thigh exercises. You may not think of that because when we think of exercise, we think of weight loss. But leg and butt exercises will make the thighs bigger since you're building muscle.

Valued Contributor

Thank you, wildflowers. You made some good points. I was very thin growing up to the point that my mother would make me sit at the table until I finished what was on my plate. Once, I spent the night at the kitchen table.

I feel there is so much emphasis on losing weight. However, there are men and women who can't seem to gain weight nor enjoy food the way other people do. You get called names, 'stringbean, she eats like a bird, you hardly ate anything, are you anorexic?'

No one says things like that to people who like to eat. It is always positive in front of them, 'he loves his food, she's a hearty eater....'

Wildflowers, I also gained the most weight in my 30's and early 40's. I was raising my kids, cooking all the time (I love to cook and bake), always had food around for the kids. My husband is a big eater, always amazes me how much he can eat but I can't.

When I worked, I had a few cups of coffee and ran to work. I worked in a doctors office at the front desk, not a place you could eat as patients were always coming and going. So I rarely ate breakfast. Now I find I do not like anything for breakfast.

I've always been a healthy eater and raised my family that way. I rarely used processed foods and made everything from scratch. Food has always been something you needed to have, not necessarily something enjoyable.

I tried Lessmans shakes a few months ago and did add them to smoothies. I like smoothies, but they take time and its hectic in my house in the mornings. So, if I don't have a smoothie, I don't eat. I can go without eating until dinner time and not realize it. I just don't get hungry. I've always been that way and it is not a deliberate thing.

So, now I try to eat something in the morning but it doesn't happen often. I don't like cereal, toast, even eggs. So it leaves little. The smoothies fill the bill but they are low calorie. I need higher calorie.

I don't like a lot of sugar, and feel that most of those breakfast shakes are just like drinking soda. Atkins drinks are low sugar and low carbs. But they aren't very tasty but I do try to drink one in the morning.

I posted because I was sure there had to be meal replacements which are healthier. I might just get Andrew's shake and leave it at that.

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Want to gain weight!

[ Edited ]

Try Premier Protein shakes. They have only 1 gram of sugar but 30 grams of protein and are delicious. Loaded with vitamins and minerals. DH’s cardio told him to use them as a meal replacement occasionally, but they are also used to help people put on weight if you add fruit or even ice cream to them. They sell them in boxes of 18 at Costco or you can get them at WM in four-packs. I highly recommend them. Many flavors and all are good. If you forget to eat, keep these in the fridge nice and cold and you will consider them a treat!

Valued Contributor

Amen!

So true.

Valued Contributor

Yes, Happy Cat!

Love heavy cream, the real stuff! But its not healthy, unfortunately.

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Try Premier Protein shakes. They have only 1 gram of sugar but 30 grams of protein and are delicious. Loaded with vitamins and minerals. DH’s cardio told him to use them as a meal replacement occasionally, but they are also used to help people put on weight if you add fruit or even ice cream to them. They sell them in boxes of 18 at Costco or you can get them at WM in four-packs. I highly recommend them. Many flavors and all are good. If you forget to eat, keep these in the fridge nice and cold and you will consider them a treat!

Those shakes are sweetened with two kinds of artificial sweeteners.  The OP sounds like she would want to avoid them.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky