Trusted Contributor

carbs i would say... i want to have this problem  lol... but i heard its just as hard for some people to gain weight... but i'd have fun trying...

Esteemed Contributor

@Ceci....Quoting from your post...."I'm not a good eater and tend to forget to eat if I don't remind myself."

The answer is right in your own post...You need to make sure that you eat meals on a regular basis....even grazing throughout the day and just making sure that you get good healthy caloric intake...Also, rather than looking into meal replacement shakes, which can be loaded with carbs and sugars, it would be more healthier for you to make your own healthy smoothies....You can check online for some great recipes or even head on over to the Recipes Forum for some ideas...Just be sure that you don't substitute these for a regular healthy meal...rather add them in between your meals.

Just to share that I have always been on the slim side myself and, when I was in my 20's, I told my Dr. that I wanted to gain some weight....He assured me that I was doing  fine and at a healthy weight, but I told him that I just wanted to add about another 10 lbs. to feel more voluptuous....lol...Anyhow, as I got into my 30's, my weight did increase to what I felt was more within a normal range for me and what made me feel better about myself...it has basically stayed the same throughout the years, give or take a few lbs. here and there every now and then....We each have our own personal metabolism rates which determines our caloric intake and activity levels to stay at our healthiest weights.

In your case, you are not eating enough and you need to maintain a more healthier eating pattern.

By the way, there is no need to feel embarrassed whatsoever...Your question is perfectly understandable and sharing with others can provide some helpful advice, as well as consulting with your personal physician.

Take good care of yourself! Woman Happy

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

It isn't easy for me to gain weight.

People will say just eat more - well in the course of a day, there is only so much you can eat without making yourself feel sick  or so stuffed that you don't want the next meal.

And believe me, the comments about being so thin can be just as hurtful as saying something to someone that is overweight.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a live link to an external retailer

Esteemed Contributor

Do you like heavy cream or half and half? I had a friend in high school who couldn't gain weight, and every day for lunch, she would drink one of those. I don't think it helped her gain much, but she thought it kept her from losing any more.

Respected Contributor

Re: Want to gain weight!

[ Edited ]

I also think keeping to an eating schedule will help you. It helped me regain weight lost in the aftermath of digestive problems.

So I made a daily eating routine - 3 meals plus 2 snacks - which I stuck to without fail. I was never hungry, but knew there was no chance of gaining weight without eating regularly. So I ate, by the clock day after day. Eventually it paid off and I gained back much of the weight I had lost.  In my experience it can be just as hard to gain weight as it is to lose weight. For me, it has been a real struggle. 

For a while, I was stuck, so I added a protein powder as one of the snacks. I gained more pounds from doing that. For the most part, I continue to stick to my eating routine. and I weigh myself all the time to make sure I am not losing weight again.

What I miss the most is being hungry, I didn’t realize it but hunger added an element of enjoyment to my meals.

Esteemed Contributor

Protein shakes and/or add extra calories to your daily intake-like 3 meals plus 3 snacks.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Ceci Rather than asking here, I think the best thing for you to do is to make an appointment with a dietitian. Even if your insurance won't cover it, it's not expensive and it's money well spent. Research online and find a good one, they're not all good just like doctors or any other health professional.

@Greeneyedlady21.....excellent idea about an appointment with a dietitian.  When I was going in for my radiation treatments for my cancer, the radiation doctor had the dietitian come out to talk with me.  I had lost a whole lot of weight, and they were concerned about that.  Had gotten very weak too.  So, the dietitian recommended that I drink one or two BOOSTS a day.  It was provided for me by an organization here that will give it to you free, and also provides transportation to and from getting the treatments.  She told me I could also mix the BOOST in with ice cream and make it like a shake.  I chose the chocolate BOOST.  They delivered 3 cases of the BOOST to me.  I keep it refrigerated.  

Honored Contributor

There are still some days that I am not really hungry at all, but do try to force myself to eat at least 2 full meals a day.  And I do have snacks in between meals. Bananas are very good for you, yes I usually have at least 4 a week.  

Another good thing to eat is oatmeal.  It is a stick to your ribs thing, and I love it with fruit in it and make it with Whole Milk......

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Eat your regular 3 meals a day and drink the Ensure as an "extra" meal each day instead of using it as a "meal replacement." Two a day should help you gain weight that is healthy weight.

@Zhills.....Yep, using it as a meal replacement is not a good idea.  I look at it as a "treat" during the day.  Mine is BOOST.