Valued Contributor

Almost feel embarrassed to ask this question, but watching Andrew Lessman on HSN as he's selling his low calorie meal replacement.

Does anyone know of a healthy meal replacement for someone who wants to gain weight?

I am healthy but have trouble keeping weight on since I've gotten older (68). I've always been thin but in the last few years have lost weight. I'm not a good eater and tend to forget to eat if I don't remind myself. I'm healthy but even my doctor would like me to put on at least 10 pounds.

I do not like supplements like Boost or the others because they are full of sugar and junk I don't want to drink. I like Andrews meal replacement, have ordered it in the past but it is very low in calorie if you are trying to gain weight.

Does he make a regular caloric meal replacement?

Respected Contributor

Go to your grocery store and buy Ensure and drink it.  It contains vitamins and minerals and is for people who cannot eat.  When I get sick the first thing that goes is my stomach and I lose weight - don't want to eat.

Ensure is what is given to those in the hospital and nursing homes to make sure they are getting adequate nutrition when the appetite goes.

It's a lot cheaper than Lessman and with ice also tastes good - sort of like a milkshake.  By the way milkshakes will also help you gain weight and give you the benefit a calcium for your bones.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Ensure is not cheaper than Lessman's shakes.  It is very high in carbs, sugar and chemicals.  

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

I had the same problem & my solution was to have a set time to eat meals everyday, that way I didn't skip & the meals I planned & ate were healthy. I know you want info on replacements but thought I'd share what worked for me...wish you the best on meeting your goal @Ceci.

Valued Contributor

While I do not have this problem, I do have a good friend with that same issue.  I suggested to her that she should keep a food diary and write out a menu plan to get the number of calories she needs.  You can include nuts, avocados and breads that are higher in calories, but I would not start eating processed foods.  I assume your doctor has ruled out any medical issues that keep you from gaining.

Honored Contributor

@Ceci Rather than asking here, I think the best thing for you to do is to make an appointment with a dietitian. Even if your insurance won't cover it, it's not expensive and it's money well spent. Research online and find a good one, they're not all good just like doctors or any other health professional.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Bless your heart..

Esteemed Contributor

Eat your regular 3 meals a day and drink the Ensure as an "extra" meal each day instead of using it as a "meal replacement." Two a day should help you gain weight that is healthy weight.

Esteemed Contributor

Are your existing meals well balanced?  Could you just eat larger portions?  Don’t skip meals.

Esteemed Contributor

I drink Andrew Lessman shakes everday and love them.  While I do not need to gain weight, I would love to have that problem, my suggestion would be to add a banana and some frozen yogurt to your shake in a blender.  You will be getting more nutrition and banana's while offering  great nutrients also have a bit of calories.  Best of luckSmiley Happy