Honored Contributor

Want to feel better about life as we know It?

An article by the blog “Scary Mommy”

“What I Realized After I Overheard A Conversation In The Coffee Shop”

excerpt: As I sat at the table next to her later on, I could hear her on her cell phone. And what I heard broke my heart. She had just lost her son three months ago and was really struggling over the holidays. I’m sure the impatience from strangers hurt her more than someone who wasn’t struggling with such a massive loss.

This article put many things in perspective for me.💗

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Want to feel better about life as we know It?

[ Edited ]

Full story from the blog:

"I see it almost every day when I get my caffeine fix. People are rude to strangers when their caffeine isn’t served up right.

For instance, just yesterday, the customer standing in line in front of me accidentally spilled her coffee. It held up the line as the barista quickly made her another one. She was visibly upset, and seemed embarrassed. And coming from the line behind her, a chorus of sighs and groans.

As I sat at the table next to her later on, I could hear her on her cell phone. And what I heard broke my heart. She had just lost her son three months ago and was really struggling over the holidays. I’m sure the impatience from strangers hurt her more than someone who wasn’t struggling with such a massive loss

Then I looked up at the barista who had made her another coffee, free of charge. She was struggling to keep up with the busyness when the customer she was with started arguing with her after she messed up his order. “It’s not so hard to get it right is it? I told you the order twice,” he barked.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

For many years I worked as a waitress and a bartender; first working my way through college and after that part time to supplement my full time job.  I have always said it should be mandatory for everyone to work in a public service job.  It's appalling how people treat "the help."

One (of many) experiences from many, many years ago will always be with me.  Waiting on a party of six (three couples all in their 50s) who came into the steak house I was working at 40+ years ago, all drunk, all obnoxious.  One of the men kept grabbing my rear end.  When I was finally serving coffee (Amen, it was almost over) the grabber grabbed me again.  Well the jerk ended up with six cups of steaming hot coffee in his lap.  oops, I was distracted by the fanny grab, once again - lol.  He raised he!!, demanded to see the owner, (who thankfully stood up for me) and then wanted the check.  They left me the full $1.00 tip.  I immediately found them getting their coats from the coat room, went up to the grabber and handed him his $1.00 back, saying, "you must have made a mistake, as I'm a far better waitress than this, please don't insult me, you must need this even more than I do.  Goodnight."  I went back into the kitchen to start nightly break-down and clean up when the busboy came back and handed me a $50.00 bill.  Seems I got through to someone in the group.

Yep, so many special people in the world with no regard for other's.  Sad.  

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

For many years I worked as a waitress and a bartender; first working my way through college and after that part time to supplement my full time job.  I have always said it should be mandatory for everyone to work in a public service job.  It's appalling how people treat "the help."

One (of many) experiences from many, many years ago will always be with me.  Waiting on a party of six (three couples all in their 50s) who came into the steak house I was working at 40+ years ago, all drunk, all obnoxious.  One of the men kept grabbing my rear end.  When I was finally serving coffee (Amen, it was almost over) the grabber grabbed me again.  Well the jerk ended up with six cups of steaming hot coffee in his lap.  oops, I was distracted by the fanny grab, once again - lol.  He raised he!!, demanded to see the owner, (who thankfully stood up for me) and then wanted the check.  They left me the full $1.00 tip.  I immediately found them getting their coats from the coat room, went up to the grabber and handed him his $1.00 back, saying, "you must have made a mistake, as I'm a far better waitress than this, please don't insult me, you must need this even more than I do.  Goodnight."  I went back into the kitchen to start nightly break-down and clean up when the busboy came back and handed me a $50.00 bill.  Seems I got through to someone in the group.

Yep, so many special people in the world with no regard for other's.  Sad.  

Sometimes people are the worst.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Full story from the blog:

"I see it almost every day when I get my caffeine fix. People are rude to strangers when their caffeine isn’t served up right.

For instance, just yesterday, the customer standing in line in front of me accidentally spilled her coffee. It held up the line as the barista quickly made her another one. She was visibly upset, and seemed embarrassed. And coming from the line behind her, a chorus of sighs and groans.

As I sat at the table next to her later on, I could hear her on her cell phone. And what I heard broke my heart. She had just lost her son three months ago and was really struggling over the holidays. I’m sure the impatience from strangers hurt her more than someone who wasn’t struggling with such a massive loss

Then I looked up at the barista who had made her another coffee, free of charge. She was struggling to keep up with the busyness when the customer she was with started arguing with her after she messed up his order. “It’s not so hard to get it right is it? I told you the order twice,” he barked.

That is the epitome of a person who has no feelings towards his fellow man.  Knowing me, had I witnessed an outburst like that I would have stepped in to put him in his place.  I just cannot tolerate that kind of behavior.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays GrandmaAgree.  GS and I were getting sandwiches made at the market one day.

There was a customer who asked for the manager to complain about the woman who was waiting on us all.  Claimed the woman was being rude.

You know the type-carrying her Louis La-Di-Da purse (looked like a knock off to me) riding in on a high horse crapping all over the place.

The manager came out and I spoke up; that the woman making sandwiches was in no way rude and the customer was just being a pain.

She didn't like it and left in a huff.  GS and I got free sandwiches.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I worked in the front office of "high end" resorts for years.   You can't imagine the foul language the "guests" used on the telephone.

In defense of my employers, I was allowed to say, "If you continue to use this language, I will terminate this conversation."    (And I did...many times.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Working with the public daily is one of the hardest jobs there is.  Some people are gems to work with and others are a royal pain in the patootie.  

Everyone needs to slow down a bit and remember their manners and have patience with others.  No one knows what the person next to them is going through in their life.  

I think to ask of ourselves, "is this how I'd want someone to treat me?" is a an eye opener.

Honored Contributor

This reminds of of all the people whining and complaining to customer service about their orders here.  Some people just like to be bullies with people who have no control over things sometimes...

Respected Contributor

It's sad but I don't think people Know their manners anymore. They've not been taught any. 

My two words to live by phrases are  1) Do unto others as you would have done to you. and 2) There's Always someone having a worse day than you are.