Valued Contributor

Want to buy a returned blanket but afraid might get bed bugs

Back in July, QVC presented some Berkshire oversized holiday blankets that I missed out on at the time they were offered. I discovered them later on after the color I wanted was long gone. Just checked back in and saw that the blue is back. I really, really want this blanket to put on my bed, but I know it's someone's return. I'm so paranoid about getting bed bugs that, as much as I want this, I'm afraid to get it in case whoever returned it may have had the nasty little creatures.

We already had one scare with bed bugs when, we think, one was brought into our house by a service worker. Fortunately, I found it and, thank goodness, it was the only one. That's really rare to have just one and find it before it (if it's a female) has a chance to lay eggs. I know that one can normally put items in the dryer to kill any bugs and eggs, but I don't know if doing so with this Berkshire blanket could harm it. Would anyone know if this blanket (H205239) could hold up to the heat? Thanks for any help from anyone.

Honored Contributor

Re: Want to buy a returned blanket but afraid might get bed bugs

Nope. I wouldn't buy it.

"Pure Michigan"
Regular Contributor

I just recently bought a blanket from QVC for use this winter. It came completely sealed tight in a plastic bag. I won't be using it for months (going up to 90 today), so I'm leaving it in the bag.  Don't think there's much chance of any critters surviving that long.  Just my suggestion. 

Honored Contributor

How do you know it was a return?  Regardless, I don't blame you for being skittish.  Aren't there ways to seal blankets (e.g. in a plastic bag) for a period of time so that whatever critters there will die?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know what part of the country you live in but bed bugs can't survive extreme heat.  The trip from Qvc will kill them in transit.  

eta: I wouldn't buy a blanket that was returned,  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anytime you get returned clothes or bedding you risk bed bugs. They are rampent and hard to get rid of. Many people have them in their home and live with them not knowing they have bed bugs.  I  have heard that even new unworn clothes coming from China have come in with bed bugs from the shipping crates! They are like roaches and are very hard to kill.

Heat is about the only way to get rid of bed bugs.  A hot  clothesdryer might be a good idea if you decide to keep clothing or bedding that  might be repacks of returns. 

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't but that's just me. I don't knowingly buy any clothing or bedding that has been returned.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bed bugs are a risk with new items as well.   Anything that's made of fabric should be put in the dryer for 20-30 minutes before use to eliminate the threat.

Honored Contributor

That blanket is 100% polyester polar fleece. Throw it in the washer  in hot water and then dry it in the dryer and it will be fine.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought a Berkshire blanket that shed up my nose and down my throat.  Threw it out!  Also, bed bugs are so tenacious, they use FREEZING to try to eliminate them!  Exterminators use Cryonite, which uses CO2 to freeze them effectively, without chemicals.