Trusted Contributor

Re: Want to ask this away from the beauty board....

@151949 wrote:

I had a "steady" boyfriend all the way through high school so I don't think my MU or lack of it - made any difference. Some of the girls in my high school really made themselves up daily, teased and dyed their hair to extremes and dressed in very questionable clothing. It just made them look trampy.

I'm guessing you were probably pretty cute makeup or no. I was and am very plain without the benefit of cosmetics, so wearing makeup was a boon for me. By High school I did a full face and I think by that time it's okay. Interestingly I have a 16 year old DD who does not have any interest in makeup. If she did I would have done what my sister did with my niece and taken her for a lesson or two to learn proper application.

Honored Contributor

Back in the day wearing make up before the 10th grade was just not done. I remember wearing blush, mascara and lip balm in high school and I did color my hair my senior year.

Respected Contributor

IMO, junior high school? no.  not any make up at all.

i am WAY out of the loop, i am sure, but i think high school is still early to be fooling around with a full face of make=up.  i would probably be ok with a little bit of lip gloss and some blush maybe.  why would a girl of 16 or 17 need to wear foundation?  seriously.  if i could only go back and have the flawless skin of a 17 year old!  i would LOVE not to have to cover my skin imperfections with foundation.  

now, if a girl has some skin issues and really needs a little make-up. ... well that's another story.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not recall how old I was when I started wearing makeup. I think I was 11. I think wearing makeup as a pre-teen is fine as long as it is simple and natural.

20 Best Hairstyles for Teenage Girls:

Respected Contributor

I think jr high is fine, if it's not caked on.

Being a child of the 80's, I still have friends who light the black eye-liner stick with a lighter to apply, it looks ridiculous.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not a parent but my thoughts based on my large extended family:

Children are so different.  Some remain attached to their childhood selves longer than others, who grow up more quickly.  Growing up happens in so many ways (at different ages, too); and a growing interest in looking adult is part of the story.

A sensitive parent will know how to allow a girl of that age to experiment and learn about makeup and clothes. 

Part of growing up is learning the expectations, and every girl has to learn these.  For sure, she will make some mistakes if she is allowed to experiment a bit, but she will probably just do things in secret, if she can't openly try her wings. Then she will miss feedback from her parents, who know her best.  My mother forbad me to wear blue jeans, and in high school, after being teased for wearing a dress to go bowling, etc, I simply packed my jeans in my school bookbag and changed at a friend's.

BTW, mom definitely won this, in my case:  to this day I wear skirts and dresses nearly 100% of the time to work.  I always feel a bit as if I am going bowling or skating if I wear pants.

Makeup is such a small thing compared to risks teens take.  I am not a parent, but would not likely make a big deal about eyeliner or clothing preferences either.  Alcohol use and smoking, yes.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

At what age do you think girls shouldd start wearing make up? 

I think Jr high they can wear lip gloss and for special occasions a little light pink blush. In high school - can add daily foundation and blush and mascara. For very special occasions - like prom - eye shadow. I wasn't ever allowed to wear eye liner and eye shadows until I moved away from home, except I was a majorette and they wanted us to use blue shadow and liner when we were performing. So I was allowed then and then only. 

I had a "steady" boyfriend all the way through high school so I don't think my MU or lack of it - made any difference. Some of the girls in my high school really made themselves up daily, teased and dyed their hair to extremes and dressed in very questionable clothing. It just made them look trampy.

Well, maybe they looked trampy to the dinosaurs that roamed the earth back when you and I were young, but my Baptist Sunday School teacher let me wear modern clothes, short dresses, and "tease" my hair.  I also wore foundation and eyeliner I know.  And that was in the 60s and 70s.  Almost ALL the girls did, except a few who were from VERY conservative religious groups.

We weren't trampy either.  We were pretty young girls enjoying high school, dating and hanging out with friends.  With my mom and me there wasn't much "allowing" because we were on the same wavelength about those things.  So it was never really a problem.

Valued Contributor

I started wearing makeup when I was 10 or 11 but I developed early. I think 12 or 13 is probably a better age to start but it depends on the girl and her maturity and what she likes as well.

Honored Contributor

I don't exactly remember when it was but that I started dabbling in make-up but I know that by the time I entered high school, I wore a full face of make-up from foundation to eyeshadow to mascara, liner and lipstick.  I went to a catholic high school and we had to wear "dress clothes" so the make-up was needed.

I have friends who have daughters that are wearing full on faces of make-up from 13 and some who have kids that are seniors in HS and wear none.  I have a friend who has a daughter who has had her belly button pierced since the age of at least 13.      

Respected Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

IMO, junior high school? no.  not any make up at all.

i am WAY out of the loop, i am sure, but i think high school is still early to be fooling around with a full face of make=up.  i would probably be ok with a little bit of lip gloss and some blush maybe.  why would a girl of 16 or 17 need to wear foundation?  seriously.  if i could only go back and have the flawless skin of a 17 year old!  i would LOVE not to have to cover my skin imperfections with foundation.  

now, if a girl has some skin issues and really needs a little make-up. ... well that's another story.

@fancy pantsy   ita with you.   i look back and my skin had finally cleared up and was near flawless at that age but i was so concerned with looking older than i was . i didn't wear foundation but did wear a lot of eyeliner and mascara. so much that some guys in college commented on it:  "do you wear stuff on your eyelashes?"