Respected Contributor

Re: Want to ask this away from the beauty board....

Personally,  I don't remember  being allowed or not allowed to wear makeup.  In Jr high and high school, my friends and I pretty much wore lip gloss, sometimes mascara, that was it.  I did have a spot  cover up  for breakouts,  but no makeup.   It wasn't about rules from my parents.  We just didn't wear that much.  I do remember getting my hair cut and permed regularly at a salon.  

I didn't start wearing foundation until after college.  In college, I would use blush and eyeshadow, mascara, lipgloss, concealer if I had a breakout.   But not regularly and not everyday.  I went to college in AZ and CA so I always a nice tan.  Smiley Happy   And I did use sunscreen.  Smiley Happy

I think in today's world, lipgloss , mascara, light eye makeup, and light spf  foundation are ok for junior high and high school.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never been a mom so def didn't have daughters. Hate to admit this, but I didnt know who Taylor Momsen (sp?) was. Had to find out. If there are any others out there in the dark ages, here she is (I first thought that it was a guy Woman LOL)

image.jpg

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

1967....,.7th grade age 12 or so.......panty hose, mascara, lipstick...blue eye shadow of course. I remember 7Th grade being the turning point to womanhood....and BOYS!

Honored Contributor

Anyone remember wearing white lipstick?? Glad that fad went away fast!!

My Mom in the 60's when she went somewhere special wore false eyelashes and then applied mascara. Daughter in the late 60's/early 70's probably wore lipstick but no shadow unless it was a special night like prom or a dance. I seem to remember that shades of blue eyeshadow were popular in the late 60's.

Now I see twenty something girls wearing liner on the upper lid and that's it.

Had an interesting conversation with a friend of son's at his doctoral dissertation celebration. The girl complimented me on my makeup-- I tend to wear neutral shades and rarely a 'color'-- the color usually I use as an eye liner below the lid or above it with the neutral on the lid.

She was surprised I used dark eye shadow to create the line below the lid instead of using a eye liner.

Saw a Lancome video on how to apply eye liner-- I liked the idea that if you cannot draw a straight line-- draw dashes instead and then connect the dashes together instead of doing one line.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

Never been a mom so def didn't have daughters. Hate to admit this, but I didnt know who Taylor Momsen (sp?) was. Had to find out. If there are any others out there in the dark ages, here she is (I first thought that it was a guy Woman LOL)

image.jpg

She is toned down in this picture. She used to wear lots of black eyeliner, too much IMO for a high school girl or anyone really.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

This is how I am used to seeing her. She was in Gossip Girl and some girls around here tried to emulate her look.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

image.jpg

And to think she was once little Cindy Lou Who!!

Esteemed Contributor

Depends on the girl and also if there are certain dress codes at her school.  Also, you know what sort of priorities you would like her to have.  If all she does is fuss about her looks and not her studies, you may want to encourage her to think about her studies. 

In my teens, a clean, clear complexion was necessary.  Chap stick for unchapped lips, clean brushed hair.  If there was make-up, it all depended on what group of females you hung out with.  Some wore more, some less.  It was the glitter rock days. 

Trampy?  How do you mean that.  Trends for teens are just that - doesn't mean they are tramps for their choices. 

I wouldn't want any girl to just be so shallow that all she ever put effort into was her make-up.  If she wants to be a cosmetologist, then maybe she can be allowed to experiment. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor

This is an interesting topic, I've read the responses wth interest and a bit is reminiscence. I remember those days for me....the '70's. When I first wanted something, anything...my mother gave me cherry chapstick! Back then, face moisturiser was considered a cosmetic! She was a proper British lady, an English war bride and things were very strict in her home. And,  so she was almost as strict was with me. Like most young girls, I sneaked & with my babysitting money, I bought at the pharmacy down the road from home and;  put a bit of whitish pink frosted cover girl lipstick on that I kept in my locker at school. Where there's a will there's a way and gradually my Mom loosened the reigns a bit and we met at a happy medium. 

When my daughter came along years later, I promised myself it would be different. There was a brand out then called bonnie bell. When she came to me...we went to the store and I bought her just a few little things~the lightest of whisper pink lip gloss, a translucent little compact, an almost tansparent creme blush. Of course when she was little I would occasionally do her nails if she saw me doing mine. Or, a dot of lip stick. 

But, overall I was lucky, it came to her naturally and at the right time. I did concentrate on teaching her good skin care habits and the use of sunscreen. We had facial nights and when she was older, enjoyed the company of an occasional mani/pedi. She too doesn't wear a lot of make up. Enough to look appropriate at work and, a little more for special occasions. 

She has the most special of occasions coming up soon...her wedding! And I know, with or without make up, she will radiate joy and beauty!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My 2 teenage granddaughters (age 17 and 15) started wearing make up in highschool.

The youngest granddaughter (11)  is in middle school and does not wear makeup.

However, my middle granddaughter has dyed her hair every color of the rainbow since 8th grade She is now in 10th. That I worry about for fear of chemicals and possibly losing her hair later. But her Mom (my daughter) lets her.

Otherwise they can wear anything to school with the exception of no tank tops and no real short shorts or real short dresses. They even wear flip flops (which I think is ridiculous i. e. no support).

I just thought Id add this; In highschoool they can also have cellphones and use them in class as long as they have spare time (as in texting). And they can have drinks at their desks and chew gum (discretely).

This is in a middle to upper class suburban school. And I don't agree with most of this, but times have changed!

For the record I didn't wear make up until 11th grade. We couldn't even wear pants until I got to 7th grade, then they changed it that you could wear pants! Before that it was skirts and dresses only!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles