Honored Contributor

Re: Want to ask this away from the beauty board....

I think it depends on the girl and her reasons for wearing it. And I think there's a difference between playing around with makeup and wearing it on a regular basis. When I was young, I played with my mom's makeup, so she bought me my own inexpensive eye shadow palette to play with so I wouldn't ruin hers. I was playing with makeup at 10, but didn't wear it out of the house or even for very long.

I wore some eye shadows in junior high school on some occasions but generally have never worn a lot of makeup. I didn't wear foundation on a regular basis until I was in my 40s and even at 45 I often go without any makeup on at all.

When I worked at camp, there was a girl there who wore shadow, blush, and lip gloss at age 8. I was 22 and working at camp, so all I wore was sunscreen, but this girl wore makeup. I think 8 is too young to be wearing makeup at camp.

That said, I don't know how much age matters. Reasons matter. If you wear makeup because it's fun and you enjoy expressing your creativity through makeup, that's great. If you feel more confident with it, that's okay, too. If you feel like you're ugly and can't leave the house without it, that's not okay at any age.

Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

High school starts in my area in 9th grade. Most of those girls are wearing full make up by then including eyeshadow, eye liner and mascara. My daughter went to a private girls school and I did notice that they didn't wear makeup daily like if they went to a co ed school. It also depends on the colors and how heavy handed they are. I allowed my daughter to wear makeup but I wasn't allowing her to walk out looking like Taylor Momsen. She was allowed to wear eyeshadow, liner and mascara but only if she kept it toned down and a more natural approach. You can wear a full face of makeup and not look like a tramp believe it or not. You also have to remember what you did in high school and even what I did in high school is quite different from how it is done now so to just go along with what was done then and not allow for compromise, isn't really realistic.

i almost spit my drink everywhere!!! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

I always preached about good skin care.  I made sure they always had good cleansers and used moisturizers.

Sometimes when parents forbid their kids from wearing makeup, it makes it seem more alluring.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Camping with my parents at age ten.  I met a 12 year old girl and wanted to be her, lol.  She had her own horse, omg, the wonder of it!

Anyway, she wore light pink lipstick and oh, how I wanted to do that.  I begged my mother and my father listened in.  He said absolutely not, I was too young.  My mother pointed out that I had chapped lips from the heat, true.  My father said ok, some lip treatment was acceptable.  My mother and I went to the General Store and I came back to the campsite sporting light pink lipstick.  I was in 7th heaven.  My father was all, "What???"  And my mother told him they all came with a color.  Which was true if you didn't count the nasty old medicinal treatment.

Oh, how I loved my mother Smiley Happy  Heart

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

@brii wrote:

I always preached about good skin care.  I made sure they always had good cleansers and used moisturizers.

Sometimes when parents forbid their kids from wearing makeup, it makes it seem more alluring.  LOL

It really does.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

I kind of chuckled at the question....I grew up using Pond's Cold Cream and/or Noxema for skin cleansing. The only "make-up" I ever wore was a light lip 

gloss (which also doubled as "rouge") and light mascara. That regime (although i switched to blush) continued until about 6 months ago when I started wearing "real" makeup.

So, if I am an example of when to start, in your 60's would be the answer..LOL

Honored Contributor

I come from a makeup loving family! I was also on a local teen board and we modeled for the department stores from time to time. So I started around 15 with lipstick and mascara. I also have been filling in my brows even before then because of a childhood injury that left me with a scar. I probably started with eye makeup in full force around 16. I didn't wear a whole lot in college, unless I was going to a class with a cute boy or two in it! Smiley LOL

DD started around 13 She started with a little Merle Norman, then Clinique, then MAC, and now she uses a number of brands. She is a true makeup junkie! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Oh here I go LOL

In junior high girls around here had "stage moms" who encouraged them bleaching their hair/piercing ears (cheetleading/dance); faux tanning/ just stagey stuff. My DD and her cousin and friends rebelled and shunned make up (DD has perfect skin-- must be nice). 

Some of the stage moms later admitted that they regretted pushing too hard too fast.

as for opinions concerning when to encourage consistent skin care (such as cleaning at night and use of sunscreen) ENCOURAGE EARLY

My DD rebelled on this too, and all of a sudden, at 32, she is starting to be conscientious.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

image.jpg

Honored Contributor

Ariana Grande age 20 singer

Note the cat-eye liner