Honored Contributor

Want to ask this away from the beauty board....

At what age do you think girls shouldd start wearing make up? 

I think Jr high they can wear lip gloss and for special occasions a little light pink blush. In high school - can add daily foundation and blush and mascara. For very special occasions - like prom - eye shadow. I wasn't ever allowed to wear eye liner and eye shadows until I moved away from home, except I was a majorette and they wanted us to use blue shadow and liner when we were performing. So I was allowed then and then only. 

I had a "steady" boyfriend all the way through high school so I don't think my MU or lack of it - made any difference. Some of the girls in my high school really made themselves up daily, teased and dyed their hair to extremes and dressed in very questionable clothing. It just made them look trampy.

Honored Contributor

Re: Want to ask this away from the beauty board....

The elementary school my girls went to did not allow girls to wear makeup.  By high school, they all wear makeup - even eyeliner.  (gasp)

My girls were always involved in sports, and that dictated how much makeup they wore or didn't wear. 

Most girls get their hair and makeup professionally done for dances - especially for prom.  By high school, almost all are dying their hair and/or getting professional highlights.

My girls went to a private high school, and they were not allowed to have pink or purple hair, or anything like that.  Boys are not allowed to have facial hair.

I see a lot of young girls and boys wearing a lot of makeup  in junior high.  It was never an issue in my house.  I don't see anything wrong with wearing age-appropriate makeup.  Some girls have an interest in it and some don't. 

I'm not even going to comment on the trampy comment. 

Super Contributor

"Pre-Teen" is too young in my opinion but I also do not have any girls so I don't have any experience with this subject. I'd never give a makeup gift to a pre-teen...not even a lipgloss.

Respected Contributor

7th or 8th grade - brown mascara, sheer pink lip, sheer pink blush. HS- powder or foundation, mascara, blush, pale taupe/brown/grey/cream shadow, lipstick (still light in color). That's what I wore, and that's what I think is appropriate. I'm always shocked to see 12 year olds wearing black liner, bright lips, and darker shadows. Why mess with a young, beautiful face like that? I know, it's their business, but JMHO. 

Valued Contributor

My mother allowed me to begin wearing make up when I started junior high around 12 y/o.  I wore a bit of blush, gloss, mascara, etc.  And the love affair continues!  White Smiling Face

Honored Contributor

6th grade was still elementary back in the 70's and toward the end of that year I wore light pink lip stick and the cover girl pressed powder compact. 

The next year for Jr. High it was the full face.  Only because Mom had to save me from myself.  One day she asked what I was wearing on my face and I put some of her red lipstick on my cheeks for blush and gobs of Vaseline on my lashes for mascara.   She looked at me and said she was going shopping for the proper tools.  I bet I looked like a clown since I kept putting the lipstick on my cheeks every hour or so all day long.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

High school starts in my area in 9th grade. Most of those girls are wearing full make up by then including eyeshadow, eye liner and mascara. My daughter went to a private girls school and I did notice that they didn't wear makeup daily like if they went to a co ed school. It also depends on the colors and how heavy handed they are. I allowed my daughter to wear makeup but I wasn't allowing her to walk out looking like Taylor Momsen. She was allowed to wear eyeshadow, liner and mascara but only if she kept it toned down and a more natural approach. You can wear a full face of makeup and not look like a tramp believe it or not. You also have to remember what you did in high school and even what I did in high school is quite different from how it is done now so to just go along with what was done then and not allow for compromise, isn't really realistic.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

High school starts in my area in 9th grade. Most of those girls are wearing full make up by then including eyeshadow, eye liner and mascara. My daughter went to a private girls school and I did notice that they didn't wear makeup daily like if they went to a co ed school. It also depends on the colors and how heavy handed they are. I allowed my daughter to wear makeup but I wasn't allowing her to walk out looking like Taylor Momsen. She was allowed to wear eyeshadow, liner and mascara but only if she kept it toned down and a more natural approach. You can wear a full face of makeup and not look like a tramp believe it or not. You also have to remember what you did in high school and even what I did in high school is quite different from how it is done now so to just go along with what was done then and not allow for compromise, isn't really realistic.

I so agree with you!  50 years ago was so different than now.  Let a girl keep up with what most other girls her age are doing, and I don't mean the fast crowd.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

I teach 7th and 8th in a private school. We permit discreet makeup, stud earrings, no unnatural hair for girls or boys. Mascara, lipgloss and concealer for pesky 'teen' complexion issues are ok in my book. We do permit the girls to wear the nail color of their choice and some are very creative, although the French manicure is overwhelmingly a favorite.

Since I enjoy makeup I see no issues at this age.

Respected Contributor

maybe it depends on the era in which you are/were a teen.  there are cosmetic lines just for kids in some of the boutique chains like Justice. kids are so bombarded with sexual images these days. its really sad. My niece wore full face make-up at 14. i never even looked at foundation until i was in my mid-30s.

i wore mascara and maybe some blue eye shadow in 9th grade. my mother didn't make a big deal over it. she never wore m/u.    i liked a lipstick called "LOVE's" tomato glaze, a sheer color not really a lipgloss..  even that was to the extreme because the "Natural Look" was in style. i even remember LOVE Cosmetics made a mascara color called "Lioness" and it was a dusty light brown!   try selling that today!!