Honored Contributor

Re: Want Privacy on Facebook? Cough Up Some Cash 💰

[ Edited ]

Yes Face Book has a privacy agreement as to what info they are going to share.  But there's a reason that this is being called a scandal and he's going before Congress....So I guess we agree to disagree on this one...

@Spurt

Thanks for your comments.  I've been listening to the news more carefully since you made your remarks. 

What the news is reporting seems to be a lot less about how FB uses the posters' information and a lot more about the problems caused by the easy access by Cambridge Analytica .... and the Russian government, of course.    I would think they - FB -  are pretty savvy about blocking your ordinary garden variety hackers, but  a bit naive about what uber-hackers (I just made that up, lol) can get at.

I think, just as an extra level of protection, more people should consider joining FB using an alias.  Apparently some people do join that way, and only their designated friends actually know the alias.    

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Yes Face Book has a privacy agreement as to what info they are going to share.  But there's a reason that this is being called a scandal and he's going before Congress....So I guess we agree to disagree on this one...

@Spurt

Thanks for your comments.  I've been listening to the news more carefully since you made your remarks. 

What the news is reporting seems to be a lot less about how FB uses the posters' information and a lot more about the problems caused by the easy access by Cambridge Analytica .... and the Russian government, of course.    I would think they - FB -  are pretty savvy about blocking your ordinary garden variety hackers, but  a bit naive about what uber-hackers (I just made that up, lol) can get at.

I think, just as an extra level of protection, more people should consider joining FB using an alias.  Apparently some people do join that way, and only their designated friends actually know the alias.    

@Tinkrbl44

Our local news said some of the privacy issues had to do with some of the Facebook APPS people use also, and Facebook would be sending out notices to those using certain APPS and advising about the release of sensitive information.  

GREAT IDEA to use, but the problem is like the non-profit I volunteer requires you to use your real name on their Facebook Page...but I fudged on the date of birth....And my friend that woorks for a company has them using their real name (she works in their IT Dept)...I wonder if companies and non-profits will change their rules and allow just a first name and initial......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I overheard a smart aleck comment at the bank ....

"when it comes to Facebook, you get what you pay for ..... "   

LOL

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

have any of you noticed a major drop in your friends list?

i sure havent......not sure too many people are giving up facebook......and i know i am not. i use it both for personal reasons and for business.

@sunshine45- I have the exact same number of friends. None of my friends have left. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

have any of you noticed a major drop in your friends list?

i sure havent......not sure too many people are giving up facebook......and i know i am not. i use it both for personal reasons and for business.

@sunshine45.  Not really. I still have the same 31 friends on Facebook I have always had. (One is a cat. BIL thought he was being funny).